Rustins Rant

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alf

Established Member
Reaction score
Why, oh why, must Rustin's insist on putting those infernal child proof caps on their bottles of finish? And if they must 'cos of the rules and regs or whatever, why must they use such pathetic, whimpy bottles that buckle as soon as you press down and turn (or try to turn) the cap?! The only thing that twists is the bottle; the cap stays motionless. For the second bottle in a row I'm faced with not being able to get to the finish unless I cut it open. So either I do that now and waste whatever's left over as it's left exposed to the air, or I have to wait to open it until I have a suitable container to decant the contents into. It's ridiculous.

The last one was raw linseed oil (for terrocotta pots apparently. Don't ask me :roll: ). My mum couldn't get it open, my dad tried the old "stand-back-this-is-a-job-for-a-man" approach, and got nowhere either. They resorted to pulling the "poor ol' parents" trick, and asked me. I tried holding the cap in the vice, twisting it with pliers, everything. No dice. Had to cut it open and it went everywhere. Of course you know why? Yep. As soon as you hold the bottle, you end up squeezing it 'cos it's so flaming soft, so linseed oil slopped over in liberal quantities. Lucky I had the forsight to open it in the sink, but why should we have to waste all that oil? I've just remembered we had similar trouble with a tin of Danish Oil from them too. The cap stayed tight, but the collar bit detached itself from the body of the tin and just span round. Had to cut into that one too...

That's it; never again. Alf Towers is a Rustins-free zone unless they improve their packaging*.

Fuming, Alf

* Right up to the point when I need something in a hurry and it's a choice of that or Blackfriar's... :(

I had that problem last week with wilko oil but,I just drilled a hole through the plastic top poured out what was required and resealed the hole with electrical tape.

Cool head ,sharp mandrel

Alf,

I hate those caps. I have hurt myself more than once getting them off too. The best thing is indeed to have other containers into which you decant the contents.

Alf - Here's a tip which I use & even if I say it myself it's been quite successful.

1) As soon as you see the product has one of these stupid 'child-proof' caps turn it upside down on the bench (Or a cutting board)
2) With a very sharp Stanley knife or similar cut DOWNWARDS from what would be the bottom of the cap to the top
3) Take a screwdriver & lever part of the 'side' bit away
4) Still using screwdriver lever off the outer plastic 'child-proof' bit

You are the left with a 'Normal' cap that can be unscrewed in the normal way. I find that if the bottle is a little bit soft it's best not to overtighten after use.

Just take care with step two!!

Alf
I mainly use Chestnut stuff-all their products (that I've used) have "normal" lids. No Adult-proof ones in sight!
The products are great too!
Cheers
Philly :D

Losos, I like that one; ta. =D> Philly, Chestnut (while marvellous in every way) are thin on the ground round here, and they don't always have the poison I require anyway. :( SDP, s'no good. Not only is that too level headed for me, it also requires the tape to stick to the (now) oily bottle. I have a lousy track record in that respect. :oops: Ah well, at least I'm not alone. Misery loves company. :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Child proof?? :lol: :lol: :lol:

When Hannah (of bird box) was 4 years old she opened the Calpol for us to give her some when she was a little under the weather. How :shock: ? we cried. well, says she, "it has push and twist written on the top" :roll:

Fantasic, Tony!
She's a clever girl, alright. Where did she get that from, then? :wink: :lol:
Cheers

Philly":1j2fzoe2 said:
Fantasic, Tony!
She's a clever girl, alright. Where did she get that from, then? :wink: :lol:
Cheers

her mum :cry:

Tony, I fear you might have hit on the truth of the matter. I'm too old to get child proof bottle open any more. :cry: I should have realised when I fouled up trying to record LOTR on Saturday. Can't open the child proof stuff, can't set the video. Oh deary me. Anyone got plans for a bath chair for my dotage? :roll: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Hi All

Philly, thanks for your glowing words, I hope we always deserve them!

Interestingly, one of the most common questions/comments we get is about our lids (not sure what that says about the questions we get!) and the fact that they stick, as you might expect. A simple pair of grips is all that is needed and I try not to go to demos without them!

If anyone wants to send us an SAE we'd be happy to send them a couple of lids for 500ml and 1 ltr tinsof the non-childproof variety, although where and when you use them is of course up to you!

Back