rust removal

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stewart

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all
This is where I really reveal my novice status :oops:
I've just bought a second hand planer thicknesser, for what I hope is a reasonable price, but I won't reveal it just in case it wasn't! There is some surface rust to the bed of the thicknesser table which I''ve been told will clean off with wire wool. My novice question is do I have to use anything with the wire wool or do I just use it on its own?

Any advice gratefully received

Stewart

Just to second the webrax. It's great stuff. I use it with CMT spray (never seem to have wd40 in the workshop).

You can buy it from Axminster. I get the grey sheets (good for applying wax as well) and the brown sheets for the really tough stuff.

thanks for the tips - now to find the time to do it!
cheers
stewart

I never allow WD40 (yuck, terrible stuff!) anywhere near the workshop. It does ,I believe, contain silicones and that is the last thing you want on wood. Use Duck oil or 3in1.
I have found the water dispersal properties of DW40 makes water bead up and and so leaves circular rust pits when it eventually evaporates.
Duck oil appears to contain waxes and I feel has far superior rust preventative action on tools.

aldel :shock: :shock:

Aldel, WD-40 contains no silicone(s). In the situation that the OP describes WD-40 is ideal whereas 3 in 1 or other oils are way too gelatinous. With rust removal WD-40 acts as a lubricant and the rust tends to get suspended in the WD-40. As the link provided indicates a final clean-up with solvent cleans the surface and a final application of wax leaves the surfaces protected and slick.

Rgds

Noel

Well I don't actually use WD40 for rust removal or prevention, but the idea that there's a workshop without a can is incredible! :lol: White spirit works very nicely with Webrax for rust removal fwiw, and LuboWax has proved surprisingly good at preventing its return on machinery (touch wood, so far). 3in1 is evil, messy stuff in a woodworking scenario; it has its place, but on woodworking tools isn't one of them, in my experience.

Now somewhere I read something to the effect that all this fussing about silicone isn't really necessary, but I'm blessed if I can recall where. Ring any bells with anyone? Might be FWW again?

Cheers, Alf

Tony":tkg0sznm said:
No WD40 :shock: How about 3-in-1??

Oh yes, 3 in 1, Camellia Oil, CMT cleaner and the liberon lubricating wax get used regularly in the workshop.

I only use WD40 now and then. Mainly last year where I used nearly a bottle on the ride on mower (the mower that I spent more time ‘fixing’ and replacing parts then actually cutting the grass :evil: )

Back