Rust in the workshop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
waterhead37":vvf6izx1 said:
Alf":vvf6izx1 said:
Might have to sell a few tools to fund it though.

Yes but then you will have more room in your workshop for

1) stuff you actually use
2) stuff you really need
3) assembly of more fine furniture
4) all the review freebies you are collecting

etc.
That common sense attitude will get you nowhere you know...
rolleyes.gif

Cheers, Alf

Alf":3v5ufmf8 said:
Might have to sell a few tools to fund it though. [/img]

Come on ALF, I'm sure you can find a few never-used-items in and amongst all those boxes, cupboard and drawers you have stuff squirreled away in to stop them getting damp?

Adam*

*Who is now ready to buy a dehumidifier for the workshop but finds their is, quite literally no space for it. Not much I can think of to get rid of either, to free up that much floor space. Hmmm

Adam":2chkggtu said:
Adam*

*Who is now ready to buy a dehumidifier for the workshop but finds their is, quite literally no space for it. Not much I can think of to get rid of either, to free up that much floor space. Hmmm

Even in your new, larger worshop? :shock: What have you been putting in there?

Alf":1s3k9yxe said:
.................... and I'm hoping to get to B&Q to have a gander at their dehumidifier some time... Might have to sell a few tools to fund it though.......................................

Cheers, Alf

If you check ebay you can normally pick a decent used one for £50 ish.

Ive bought 2 in the past and have had no trouble

Too late!
unhappy.gif
Got to B&Q today, bought dehumidifier (£75, which was a nice surprise). Now seriously considering selling my L-N #112 scraper plane. Or maybe just everything that won't fit in the toolchest? Hmm, "massive tool sale" might not be over-stating things if I did that...
eek.gif

Cheers, Alf

As a side issue can you guys suggest the best way to achieve this "background heat"? What are you using? I thought a greenhouse heater would be a good idea?
Living in Holland does present a few humidity problems too (the water table and canals are never far away). My garden backs on to a small canal so I need to address this problem ASAP as even my chucks are showing signs of rust :cry:

If it's an electric one, but not a parafin heater as they produce lot of water vapour. A slimline (oil-filled) panel heater of 400 -500W would be good for background heat.

I use an electric convector heater, it has a fine wire element at the bottom. This is probbaly not the safest method in the workshop as small pieces of wood/sawdust can find there way onto the element.

I would say the electric oil filled radiators are probably the best as they can be thermostatically controlled, are quite effiecient and safe.

Andy

Back