Rust in shed-workshop.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HRRLutherie

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All

With my workshop up and running, I've been getting some projects underway. However, after just a few weeks, my chisels were covered in still wet rust.

I knew that rust would be an issue, but I didn't anticipate this.

I'm considering getting some of these: http://www.rutlands.co.uk/sp+woodwo...iting-storage-bag-300mm-x-400mm-zerust+dk7125

And then I thought of putting rust prone tools in sandwich bags, with silica desiccant sachets:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100-x-1g-...siccant-Pouches-O123-/130832081465#vi-content

Would either solutions eliminate rust?

PS: I am working on creating some indoor storage for tools, as well as lumber, as I know that warping is also a problem.

Hi i don't think you should accept rust as being inevitable, i have never suffered from it in my workshop? I do have mine fully insulated and in winter have a heater on a timer, but then i live in the North East of Scotland and I normally have to dig a footpath to my workshop in winter as the snow is a over afoot deep and the temperature gets well below zero . But no rust

The humidity in Cornwall is far higher than in London (55%-60% good, 85%-90% bad, in my 'shop), and the only time I have any problem is in the winter when I introduce heating into the equation - it's intermittent, and causes condensation. I would try to find what's causing the condensation, as well as attempting to mitigate it's effects.

I'd say you need to approach this from two angles.

1. Immediately start using any anti-rust measure you can find. I don't suffer from rust in my workshop, but I still use camellia oil on all my chisels and planes. In the past I've seen light rusty finger prints appear after not cleaning the tools down correctly and I learned a trick from David Charlesworth after I attended one of his courses. He uses a small flat tin with a piece of foam or similar inside which is soaked in camellia oil. After every use he wipes his chisels or planes over this before putting them away. Works beautifully....

2. Try to eliminate the source of the moisture. Condensation this time of the year shouldn't be an issue so I'd say there is some kind of water ingress issue in your workshop. Floor and/or roof would be my guess, but maybe post some details about the workshop construction and I'm sure some of the builder types on here will offer some sound suggestions.

Good luck.

It's actually just a storage shed that's been repainted. The roof is watertight, but there is no damproofing or insulation.

Maybe time to build a tool cabinet, hang on the wall and incorporate one of the older heat emitting light bulbs or two. I have this in my tool cab and never suffer from rust issues... do also use a little camelia oil.

Al

Condensation is as a result of temperature diference so your chisels are colder than the surrounding air. The air comes into contact with the cold surface of the chsels and shrinks depositing water on their surface. There is only one cure for condensation "Movement of Air". In other words ventilate your workshop, You need some regular air changes. Insulation helps it reduces differences in temperature. You dont tell us if this condensation is isolated say just on one side of the shop. The sun which we are enjoying this week can be warming one wall of the shop which could be causing the temperature difference. If it is isolated then move them cover them with a cloth.

Sounds like as has been said a problem of where your tools are kept, ie, the workshop / shed. You will never stop rust what ever you do if you have a damp workshop / shed. If you cant make the shed damp proof, you could try to keep your tools in an air tight / damp proof tool chest / box or keep them indoors if just hand tools. But keeping machinery in such conditions is near impossible.

Back