Rust in box sections

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deadeye

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm doing a spot of light machine restoring and the rust is pretty thick. I'm using citric acid, which works pretty well with patience and scrubbing.

Part of the frame consists of steel tubes, with end plates making them closed sections aside from a bore through. I filled with citrate solution and was rewarded with abundant sludge and rust.

Is there something I can now put inside them to stop rust re-forming? I still need to get an axle through. For example, I could pour in some rust converter and shake it around? Any better ideas?

Thank you!

A zinc primer should help if you can get it in there. Make sure its really a zinc primer not a 'pretend corrosion paint'. Follow that with Waxoyl, it kept the sills & door bottoms of my '67 Hillman Hunter alive for 15 years. It's a forgiving gloopy waxy stuff , make sure surface is dry or you just seal wetness in.

Spray in or otherwise coat the inside with a phosphoric acid-based rust converter, then zinc primer, then Waxoyl or Dinitrol (better). I speak as a Land Rover owner.

Back