Russell Collection / David Stanley Int. Sat 29th March

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was just about to post the catalogue Carl .... you beat me to it as I got a bit, er, distracted.

We'll be there. \:D/

No one else ?

Can't wait to see Richard's mitre's in the flesh.

I will be there on both days with a display of 18th century tools If you can at all possibly go, do It's a great fun day out. As an added bonus, Bill carter is always there to offer stories and good advice about planes.
Cheers, Richard

Mr_P is a very happy chappy

sorby 002.JPG

Last time I was that impressed with a frog it was the early 80's on TV.

Less happy with my Rider 60 1/2, available for less at Axminster. Win some, lose some.

Richards Mitre's worth the trip alone, very impressed =D> =D> =D>

No excuses not to finish my wedge, I've bought Bill Carters CD

Attachments

• sorby 002.JPG
    sorby 002.JPG
    211.5 KB · Views: 1,109
Glad you liked it Carl. Looks like a tidy frog that.

I only thought to take one photo, and it was of this canoe on the first auction table.

Unfortunately missing its paddle.

I bought a tiny piece of history that I intend to give a proper setting but more about that if successful and in another thread.

Blood and Sand that's a monster! Coopers Jointer?

Pete

Pete - yup, coopers' jointer.

Danny - Yup, upside down; so it's like a bench with a blade in it sticking up. You actually pull the work over the blade. Much used by coopers for fitting cask staves together for that water - tight fit.

The clue is the two square holes in the left hand end. They would have had legs in, so one end stood up off the ground. The other end rested on the floor, leaving the working surface facing up and sloping, so each stave could be pushed down over the iron.

I had a great weekend at the sale. I didn't get anything in the auction, but came away with a couple of planes I have been trying to weedle out of some dealers for some time. :)
The first one is this superb panel raiser by John Moody of Worcester. It has it's original iron by Edward Dingley, and the condition is just unbelievable. It also has the rare feature of intermittent lignum boxing .

The second plane is a plough by William Cogdell. This has his early makers mark

Its amazing to think that both these planes are getting close to being 300 years old.
Bill and Sarah carter are regulars at the sale, and always have a fine selection of Bills handiwork on show.
Brian Jackson is another regular at the sales. here he is pretending to be the proud owner of my own collection :lol:

Back