Ruobo style bench in Teak I think, What finish?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My thoughts are that the teak from those two countries has been carefully farmed for years and has provided a valuable export on a long term basis. The fact that it is suddenly a cheap and easily available material in local markets probably means that policies have changed. I think that we should be more concerned about the decimation of forests to make way for fast profit makers like palm oil plantations. Perhaps it would be more important to look at,the huge number of products from big name companies in this country which rely on ever increasing imports of palm oil, most of which we consume without being conscious of the damage being done.

AndyT":1mqch44g said:
If you want some idea of the price of teak, Robbins in Bristol sell it for the luxury boat trade. You can see prices in their Marine Price List, downloadable here https://www.robbins.co.uk/products-pric ... romotions/

Guessing that the pieces you showed in your photo could be about 75mm x 200mm, they would cost, for sawn timber, £253.38 per metre, + VAT = £304.06 inc.
Jeeez :shock: it's going to be the most expensive bench in the world! I think I'll get in touch with robbins and see if they want to swap the rest of the timber I have with other hardwood types .
I wanted to put the base together this weekend so I need to get hold of some epoxy , I presume the gorilla or araldite stuff is ok???
Again thanks for all your input

Could be teak, could also be walnut maybe?

Either way, if you want to make a bench out of it, you go ahead. The old screwdriver you use to open varnish tins may be just a screwdriver, but your woodwork bench is something special that you might enjoy using for decades, rather like a classic car but less likely to kill you or generate noise and air pollution, so why not spend as much money on it?

I’ve glued teak just fine with PVA, it’s in a humid bathroom everyday and remains stuck 8 years later. But I’m no expert on it.

As for the ethics... the tree is already dead and if using it upsets you, I hope you never use electricity or petrol
Etc.. never mind cutting down a forest, that stuff has changed the climate of the entire planet.

Love to see some more pictures

Aidan

I've just finished a new bench. I used Fifths! :) Not in quite the same league, I guess.
Mine has had 2 coats of BLO at the mo. I shall probably do another coat or two. It's mainly so that the wood does not get so stained and dirty, and that glue is easier to clean up, rather than a finish to make it look pretty.

:lol: sorry just seen the whole build in projects.
It looks great , you've got to be pleased with that ! shame about the nasty woodworm.
If mine turns out anything like that I will be over the moon!
I've decided not to install a tailvice as I am new to woodwork and am leaning toward musical instrument making and don't know how useful one would be to me , so thought if I needed something down the line I would retro fit a wagon type vice.
Same wth the dogs, think I will drill round ones when I figure out what I will be doing on the bench.

A tell between teak & iroko that should be fairly easy is the presence of lighter vessel lines on flat sawn surface of iroko. Colour less easy but iroko golden orange to brown, true teak golden brown from Myanmar, other stuff rich brown with darker chocolate brown markings.
^ All from world woods in colour by W Lincoln

Thanks Sam
Yes all indications seem to point to teak, but then again the legs look quite chocolatey in colour .
I will be finishing putting the base together today after work and Im taking more photos now so will be posting my progress so far on the projects section.
If I am going to commit this heinous crime then I may as well document it :D

Latest posts

Back