Runout expectations for an Albrecht chuck

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjalloq

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I've just bought an Albrecht chuck which seems to be spec'd for better than 0.04mm runout. I've just rebuilt a Fobco and if I indicate the Jacobs taper at a number of points I'm getting upto 0.01mm of runout. If I fit the chuck and measure a precision dowel I'm getting more like 0.15mm of runout. Where am I going wrong?

The chuck is brand new and I can't see anything wrong with the taper or the chuck jaws. The taper end of the spindle looks okay - there are the usual usage scuffs but nothing that looks like it might cause an issue (but then I don't have much experience here so what am I looking for?). The dowel is an m6 tolerance 10mm stainless dowel and is brand new. I have a few others I can try too.

So how do I debug this? Is it wise or unwise to try and clean up the spindle taper? I've only used a degreaser on it so far.

Thanks, Shareef.

Hmm, spoke too soon. After writing that I went back and removed the chuck, gave the chuck taper a degrease and a quick hoover to remove any dust, and now I'm well within spec. I'm indicating between 0.04mm and 0.02mm on the dowel so I'm happy now.

I've got an old Albrecht, best chuck I've got. The Far East copies look good but simply don't have the grip of the Albrecht.

Yeah, I was amazed when I took it out of its box. I've only ever seen Jacobs keyed chucks so the build quality and smooth operation was something else. You get what you pay for in this case. It's almost too nice to use. :lol:

Back