Running a felder bf6-31 from a generator

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaustino

Reaction score
Hello, I have a felder bf6-31 combination woodworking machine and I am trying to run it from a 6kw petrol generator, but the generator doesnt seem to have the power for the start-up. If I hold down the trip switches it manages it, but I am worried about damaging the motors and electrics doing this, so am unable to use it at the moment. The generator is over spec, in terms of the kw, but the machine trips before the motors reach full speed. Does anyone have any advice? We live off-grid, hence the generator. Thank you in advance for any help and advice.

I'm no expert but it's a characteristic of electric motors that they draw a much heavier current when starting up. This can be double the current when running normally.
I think you need a proper power supply, a bigger generator or a smaller machine.

Does the bf6 have a soft start facility? With the kf machines which are a bit later than the bf6 you need to hold the Felder's start button down for 10 seconds or so while the motor comes up to speed. Not doing this will usually make the main breaker trip.
HTH
David

whats the ambient temperature of the motor, I have had an issue with starting the planer on my cf731 in extreme cold conditions, however if I direct a fan heater to the motor for a couple of minutes it starts much easier. mine has 3kw (4hp) single phase motors

Is the generator putting out a full 240v? My dad had a table saw that did exactly the same from a generator. (Shed at bottom of garden) We assumed that there was a fault on the switch, but when it was plugged into an extension lead from the garage it was fine.

Latest posts

Back