Run Flat Tyres

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harbo

In Memorium
Reaction score
I have just had a puncture repaired on one of my tyres.
Talking to the fitter he said he's replaced lots of them with "normal" types - cheaper, last longer and more comfortable?
Anybody gone down that path?

Rod

The problem with that is that some cars that are supplied with run-flat tyres have no space for a spare wheel. So unless you are prepared to fill up your boot with a spare, you'll be stuffed when you have a puncture.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

The worst combination is 4 normal tyres with no spare and a can of "tyre inflating foam" in the boot (Audi use this system to avoid spares and reduce weight). If you get a puncture from, say, a nail, then the inflation foam is fine. If however, anything enters the sidewall of the tyre, the foam doesn't work and it is a call to the AA (or similar) to get a ride to the nearest Quickfit depot for a new tyre. This happened to me three times in three years and is intensely annoying!!

As I understand it, run flat tyres are only good for a few miles at no more than 50mph. Normal tyres with a full size matching spare is still the way to go, IMO.

We had a caravan before we moved over and one of the safety things I had fitted were 3 Tyron wheel bands. they turn a normal tyre into a runflat jobbie and after the initial cost they will last basically for good. They are very good and here is a bit more gen on them. Apparently you can drive across a police stinger and still drive on!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1jYIihDLNk

I have never worked for them, just a very satisfied customer!

Both our cars have no spare and use foam, to be honest I would not change a wheel by the side of the road these days even if I had one, 20 years ago maybe. A pain to have to wait for road side assitance but the stats on folk injured or killed when changing a wheel or just breaking down is not good at all.

newt":2djdc7ei said:
Both our cars have no spare and use foam, to be honest I would not change a wheel by the side of the road these days even if I had one, 20 years ago maybe. A pain to have to wait for road side assitance but the stats on folk injured or killed when changing a wheel or just breaking down is not good at all.

Me too even though my new car has std tyres and a spacesaver spare :oops:

My last 2 cars as well as my wifes mini had/has runflats and never had a problem with them in 6 years. Can't remember last time I had a puncture (kiss of death). I didn't like them much though as the ride was far too harsh. Bloody expensive to replace if you cut a sidewall or hit a pothole :shock:

Certainly there were many members on the BMW forums who changed to non runflats. A bit expensive unless you are due new tyres :roll:

Bob

newt":gqho6ebb said:
A pain to have to wait for road side assitance but the stats on folk injured or killed when changing a wheel or just breaking down is not good at all.

Really? Any figures you can point me too?

That's very worrying.

BugBear

The other problems with run-flats is that if you do get to a tyre place, they won't necessarily have them in stock, so further delays?

Don't know about Stats but a lot of vehicles broken down on Motorway hard shoulders get run into by lorries etc
- that's why the advice is not to stay inside it but to get behind the crash barrier?

Rod

bugbear":1pu736x7 said:
newt":1pu736x7 said:
A pain to have to wait for road side assitance but the stats on folk injured or killed when changing a wheel or just breaking down is not good at all.

That's very worrying.

BugBear

I saw some data in the honest John feature in the Telegraph, but there are always reference to folk being killed when stopped on a carriage way. The advice is to get away from the car, they seem to be a magnetic attraction to lorries. If you know a motorway patrol policeman just ask about it. Also don't assume that it is ok on a quiet country lane, there are lots of idiots behind the wheel these days, many un- insured, 1 in 5 I think.

The wife had a tyre going flat on her on the S-Max the other day - she stopped at a garage and put some air in it and went to local Kwik Fit.
They took the wheel off and found the inside tyre wall had perished. No option but to take what they had in and pay more for it. Had the S-Max the ability to carry a spare she could have got home and got E-tyres to do it for much less...

We are also just looking to chop our Mini Cooper in for a cabrio, and are finding it hard to find one without the dreaded run flats.

Si.

newt":1hfksdv9 said:
bugbear":1hfksdv9 said:
newt":1hfksdv9 said:

That's very worrying.

BugBear

I saw some data in the honest John feature in the Telegraph, but there are always reference to folk being killed when stopped on a carriage way.

Yeah - but using headlines and newspaper reports as a basis for statistical judgements is not exactly sound. Self-selecting sample and all that.

BugBear

Bugbear, sound or not to many variables for me. I believe the data was from the motor accident database, but of course not all successful (no injury or death) breakdowns would get reported. General advice seems to be, leave the car, recover to safe place, contact services, wait.

knappers":qst6i80c said:
We are also just looking to chop our Mini Cooper in for a cabrio, and are finding it hard to find one without the dreaded run flats.Si.

We struggled with the same problem Si. That was 18 months ago so it's probably worse now.

BMW have a fixation on run flats and though they did a u-turn with some of the mainstream models offering std tyres as an "option" they insist the suspension set up is built for R/F tyres and seem even less flexible with the Mini brand.

My wifes cooper is in spice orange, has a bodykit and sports suspension pack along with 17" alloys and we had no option at the time. She uses country roads to work which have some serious potholes and I dread the day she hits a bad one. Replacement alloy + tyre = £550. :shock:
The ride is harsh to say the least but drives brilliantly, ( just need to keep your teeth clenched to stop biting your tongue :roll: ). I bought a set of 15" alloys and good quality winter tyres and the ride is chalk and cheese - just spoils the look of the car.

She's now muttering something about a countryman 4WD but I ain't listening :lol: :lol:

Bob

newt":ynbvzwlz said:

You don't carry a fold up warning triangle then?

andersonec":2de98ha4 said:
newt":2de98ha4 said:

Yes I do carry a warning triangle, I think it's the law with German cars.

newt":111jfhtn said:
andersonec":111jfhtn said:
newt":111jfhtn said:

Yes I do carry a warning triangle, I think it's the law with German cars.

I know it's the law in Germany Pete but haven't red the Highway code for quite some time now, 'spose I should really.

Andy

I know it's the law in Germany Pete but haven't red the Highway code for quite some time now, 'spose I should really.
Andy
Not in the UK (yet) but every German car I've bought had one and a first aid kit as standard. Having said that, I know there's one in my current Audi - just don't know where it is :lol:

It's a nightmare in Europe though. Spain, I think insists on Hi Vis and 2 triangles, many others at least a triangle and don't you now have to carry a breathalyser kit in France? :? I think some of them are looking to ban Sat Navs. confusing to say the least.
Just don't get me started about driving in Italy (hammer) (hammer) NEVER going back there.

Bob

Breathalyser in France 1st November I thnk it must be French made. Camera icons must be removed from sat navs don't know when, guess they don't want any visitors. Wife's Volvo can't remove icons would have to pull fuse for sat nav, although there may be a map update disc to enable removal.
On the question of being hit when broken down, there was a video on tv builders lorry plowed into car on the hard shoulder, car had hazard lights on. Also video of cars crashing into emergency vehicles that had their blue/amber strobe lights on at night in rain. Perhaps drivers become fixated/confused when vehicles are stationary. There are a number of videos showing drivers in the US smashing into stationary police cars. Still think best to get out and recover to a safe place.

Back