Run 3 phase table saw on 1 phase domestic supply using VFD?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flatwhite

Reaction score
Hi all. Getting a bit more in to woodworking and looking to purchase a table saw. I've seen an older model but it's 3 phase:

400V
50Hz
6.0A
P1 = 3.7kW
P2 = 2.9kW

Apparently it's rated at 1.75HP. I'm not great with electricity, but that seems like a lot for 1.75HP :confused:

Is it possible to run this using a VFD and a 230V domestic supply?

I did see the Clarke PC40 phase converter, but from reading, it seems a VFD would be a better option.

Apparently it's rated at 1.75HP. I'm not great with electricity, but that seems like a lot for 1.75HP
That is not a very large motor at 1.75 Hp, my table saw is rated 2200 watts single phase which is almost 3Hp so from the above figures the power is 2900 watts which is close to 4hp.

Is it possible to run this using a VFD and a 230V domestic supply?
Yes it is possible but avoid cheap asian invertors, and there is a difference between an invertor and a convertor but the invertor will give you variable speed not that you need it on a tablesaw whereas the convertor will not.

VFD is the way to go if the motor can be Delta wired, I would recommend a good branded model as well. I've just fitted a RS-Pro own brand as it was good value on a 3 phase drill and have been pleased with it. RS is a good supplier and only sells good certified products. I understand that Teco manufacturers for them.

RS PRO Inverter Drive, 1-Phase In, 0.01 → 599Hz Out, 0.75 kW, 230 V ac, 11 A | RS Components

If you search the forum there's a useful induction motor guide which will explain the delta/star wiring etc.

Your numbers do not make much sense. Some three phase motors are:
- Easy to run from a VFD : They can be rewired star to delta in the motor terminal box
- More Tricky to run from a VFD : They need the star point digging out the motor windings to rewire to delta.
- Impossible to run from a VFD : Motor is already in delta and 400V rated or is a dual speed motor.

Ask for a picture of the motor plate and machine model plate and post them on here, folks can then give you a much better answer on what you are getting yourself into.

F.

@Spectric Yeah, I don't quite understand where all the power is going :confused:. In your table saw example, is that the 2200w the input or output power? I know for instance, saws like the Dewalt dwe7491 state 2000w motor, however it only outputs 970w.

@RichardG I'm just waiting on a photo of the motor label to see if the rewiring is possible. That's my preferred option from reading about how to get it running.

@Fitzroy Those are the numbers from the saw label itself. I'm just waiting on a photo of the motor plate (y)

[There is a comment missing here as it's awaiting a moderator approval]

Am I right in thinking using a product such as the Clarke PC20 phase converter would result in the saw running at two thirds its power?

Am I right in thinking using a product such as the Clarke PC20 phase converter would result in the saw running at two thirds its power?
There is no reason why it would run at less power, you would be providing it with a three phase fixed frequency supply at the required current. But then looking at the circuit diagram they provide in the manual this is not a digital phase convertor, it is much more basic and therefore it is not providing all three phases fully so you could be down on power. Personally I don't like it, if you want a digital phase convertor which can run multiple machines at the same time unlike the invertor then look at Static Phase Convertor 5.5hp static but not cheap.

Back