Ruler stops. Recommendations please.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bm101

Lean into the Curve
Reaction score
I use advent rules. Wasnt really aware of ruler stops till a recent thread and saw the appeal straight away. Veritas is twice the price of cheap brass chinese import at 8 poundish. Shinwa looks tidy as always but seem to be different sizes. Then there's the beyond budget stuff like woodpecker (not knocking it but it's too pricey for my hobby tastes). I know this is not big money stuff but always good to hear from those who have actual experience not Amazon reviews.

Cheers guys for any help as always.
Regards

I've the Veritas and I get very annoyed when its misplaced. They're one of those funny things; when you don't have one you wonder why anybody would buy one but when you've got one thye're invaluable. In fact I'm going to get another.

Some are open on one side but I quite like the fact that the veritas is all the way around. Horses/courses etc.

Personally I wouldn’t want one with a bolt that tightened directly onto the edge of the rule for obvious reasons plus this design generally limits the width of rule you can use.

I agree with the previous post on how invaluable they become once you start using one, they make taking & marking measurements so accurate especially over reading a rule by eye.

I have the Woodpecker one which as you say isn’t cheap but I think considering the engineering involved & it’s accuracy plus it will fit all my rules regardless of width I don’t think it’s overpriced.

I have 600 and 300mm rules each with a veritas stop. I like them better than the other designs i've seen because :
They have a hardened pin on one side to align them repeatably with the rule and
The brass knob is in two parts, an inner piece is notched and slides along the rule. When you twist the outer knob you are not screwing down directly on the edge of the rule.

Another vote for the Veritas rule stop. Looking at a picture of one you may think that it looks expensive but when you see it in the flesh it is a well thought out very well made item and as a plus it fits the Advent rulers perfectly except the 150mm rule. I have just ordered some more rules including another 300mm that I intend to cut down to make a 150mm wide rule.

IMG_20200520_091807-756x1008.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200520_091807-756x1008.jpg
    IMG_20200520_091807-756x1008.jpg
    297.3 KB · Views: 278
I have made a couple during lockdown.
One has some shim under the screw and the other has a leather disc.

Attachments

• Rule stop.jpg
    Rule stop.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 224
Excellent. Thanks as always fellas. Looks like veritas it is then for a bought option.
I like those Gallleywood.
I may try making a couple as well tbh. Got some little off cuts of off cuts the ideal size. :oops: Knew I would find a use for them eventually. :-"
Doug it was your thread where I saw the woodpecker. Don't doubt it's worth it for a professional it looks a smart bit of kit. Just horses for courses.
Thanks all. Much appreciated advice as always.
Regards
Chris

I looked at the Veritas and Axminster own brand ones in-store about a year ago. The Axminster one seemed better to me, being milled from a solid block rather that an extrusion. The Ax ones have large flat faces and positive contact on the inside of the channel that the ruler runs in, while the Veritas one has multiple steps for multiple ruler size options.

I’m very happy with the Axminster one, and bought a second for ‘in the house’ as opposed to the one that is now mounted on my tool board.

Alpha-Dave":2s60r63y said:
I looked at the Veritas and Axminster own brand ones in-store about a year ago. The Axminster one seemed better to me, being milled from a solid block rather that an extrusion. The Ax ones have large flat faces and positive contact on the inside of the channel that the ruler runs in, while the Veritas one has multiple steps for multiple ruler size options.

I’m very happy with the Axminster one, and bought a second for ‘in the house’ as opposed to the one that is now mounted on my tool board.

I am not going to say that the Veritas one is better than the Axminster one because I have never seen the Axminster one in the flesh only in photos but I don't think you understand how the Veritas one works.
The ribs inside are not what the ruler sits on, within it's range the ruler always sits against the hard steel pin on one side and the slot of the rotating head of the clamping screw on the other always giving you a square edge.
For me the other big advantage of the Veritas version is that it covers both sides of the ruler and if like me you work in both mm and inches and the rulers have mm on one side and inches on the other the Veritas stop is easy to set up on either side.

galleywood":3njp5tpe said:
I have made a couple during lockdown.
One has some shim under the screw and the other has a leather disc.

Just to thank everyone for the inspiration: I made three of these over the last couple of days, because I could. It was supposed to be bandsaw practice, but 2 minutes on the bandsaw turned into a couple of hours sanding practice - all my projects seem to do this at the moment.

IMG_20200522_204503.jpg

Made from firewood, the knobs "turned" using a cordless drill and a belt sander. I rounded the corners on one, but didn't do the other two as I prefer them square. (There was some manky/punky/waney mess on one corner which broke off when sanding, so I rounded the corners on the belt sander by eye- symmetrical they are not). All I need now is another two rulers, and I'm good to go. I made three of these so I might get one useable and square finished product, but to my surprise they are all good enough.

Attachments

• IMG_20200522_204503.jpg
    IMG_20200522_204503.jpg
    741.6 KB · Views: 97
Once you've put the first two down somewhere safe you'll have just the right amount for one rule.
Nice one TN.

Back