Rule Joint.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Digit

Established Member
Reaction score
Despite woodworking for many years I have never produced a rule joint. :oops:
Any tips, things to avoid?
Specifically I am concerned about positioning of the hinge and joint clearance to prevent the leaf binding when raised.

Roy.

I have info on rule joints (deeply) tucked away for future reference :? . Will try to dig them out tomorrow.
chris

I did this many years ago - new odd sized hinges to an old table.
You have the table top and leaves all in position upside down and well clamped down and lightly clamped together (no clearance required). Fit the hinges to housings such that the knuckle is close to the centre of the arc, but offset very slightly towards the outer leaf, so that when dropped, the leaf swings away a touch, rather than closing in.

Thanks Chris.

Fit the hinges to housings such that the knuckle is close to the centre of the arc, but offset very slightly towards the outer leaf, so that when opened, the leaf swings away a touch, rather than closing in.

Cheers Jacob, that exactly answers my query. I wondered how any movement of the two panels was accomodated.
Now all I've got to do is get all the bicuits in alignment vertically! :lol:

Roy.

I've only done it once, but it came out fine. There is an excellent article in in an ancient FWW, if you have an archive. Sorry, can't tell you which one. But it's very detailed and I followed it to the letter. Perfect result.
S

No archive I'm afraid Steve, meantime I'm still battling with the biscuits. They do an excellent job of aligning two edges. the problem is trying to ensure they two edges are working to the same alignment I find!

Roy.

Roy,
I can send you a pdf of the article that Steve mentions if you want to pm me an email address - its about 2mB file

Cheers

Bob

Thanks Bob, will do. If I understand Jacob's response I'm sorted, but the more I learn the better.

Roy.

Digit":26qgsh80 said:
.... If I understand Jacob's response I'm sorted, .....
nb I just edited it, what I said before was nonsense (a typo). For "opened" read "dropped" i.e. the joint tightens as the leaves are opened bringing the the table leaves up in to alignment, and loosens as you drop the leaf.

Not a problem Jacob, I took opened as meaning dropped or lowered anyway.

Roy.

It all helps Chris, many thanks. I'll be delayed now as I'm awaiting a pocket hole jig, my home made one has seen better days I'm afraid.

Roy.

Digit":3me8wewl said:
It all helps Chris, many thanks. I'll be delayed now as I'm awaiting a pocket hole jig, my home made one has seen better days I'm afraid.

Roy.

I'll be making the first real use of mine this week Roy.

SWIMBO has decided i MUST get my PC corner tidied up before the holiday. So a quick note or two on an envelope, measure up the case and monitor, etc., and heigh-ho into the shop to see how soon I can do this thing!

MDF and some salvaged parana pine mainly!

(A Kreg was my choice btw.)

A Kreg was mine also, but I liked the money better with Christmas coming and ordered a Dakota from Rutlands! :lol:
I heard a lot about the timber moving as the screws were tightened so I used a cheapo Silver Line effort attached to a plate of Paxolin to see how I got on.
I used it to hold 10 inch wide boards together edge to edge, and with very careful clamping the alignment was such that no planing, heavy sanding etc was required on the faces.
Unfortunately the bushes are a tight fit on the drill and the time has come to move on.

Roy.

Back