Rubio Monocoat

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrpercysnodgrass

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a job coming up in a couple of weeks and I am thinking Rubio Monocoat Oil +2c might be the ideal finish. I have looked at a couple of videos but would appreciate thoughts from anyone here that has used it. What I want from it is a very hard wearing finish for an Ercol dining suite. What I am not sure about is is how much of a 'finish' is obtained by applying a second coat with the maintenance oil. Also In the videos I have watched it is applied with a white scotch brite pad but the only ones I can find don't look to be very good quality and there have been comments about them being scratchy! Also where is the best place to buy the oil?

Will be interested to hear what you end up with, have an ercol dining table I want to refinish myself and have looked at the Rubio but not taken the plunge

I have used monocoat a few times on pieces, but only as an amateur. I haven't used it on dozens of paying jobs. I really like it and it has been hardwaring on everything I used it on besides a handful of coasters. The coasters were very much a test and will have been abused with spills. On my furniture I was looking for a matt look and to avoid a film finish. It was exactly what I wanted. It changed the colour a little but not by much. You are one of the forum experts I would ask about finishing or refinishing but I am not convinced that you could build monocoat into a finish. I do think it would look good on mid century modern stuff though.

Rubio make a big thing of it being a single coat and that is how I used it. There is a chap on YouTube called blacktail studio who claims to have found a way to apply a second coat and get good results. It is worth a watch because he (at least claims that he) has spent some money testing various finishes rather than being sponsored.

I used a squeegee to apply it.

The downside of the samples is that it is part a only so takes a while to dry. Rubio's technical dept are very helpful. They would probably apply the finish to a couple of samples and send them to you, when I spoke to them about something the chap said that he was doing just that for a customer.

Can’t comment on your choice of finish as I haven’t tried it, but as an owner of an Ercol dining suite (pale colour) that I have worked on quite a few times, I would say that getting it back to bare wood would be an absolute nightmare, as I mentioned on here very recently I found that to touchup/ match to what is now quite an orangey colour, I found that button French polish was pretty indistinguishable.
It may not be the finish you are looking for but I would recommend water-based polyurethane, tough as old boots, and virtually id-iot proof. Ian edit If I had wanted to say silly person I would’ve written silly person – this site!
PS sorry I didn’t mean you, I meant me.

There is a chap on YouTube called blacktail studio who claims to have found a way to apply a second coat and get good results. It is worth a watch because he (at least claims that he) has spent some money testing various finishes rather than being sponsored.

I have had a look at this video and I think it has convinced me that this is not the finish for the job I have to do, I think it would leave it looking too open and thin. I may get the sample pot and have a play.

Can’t comment on your choice of finish as I haven’t tried it, but as an owner of an Ercol dining suite (pale colour) that I have worked on quite a few times, I would say that getting it back to bare wood would be an absolute nightmare, as I mentioned on here very recently I found that to touchup/ match to what is now quite an orangey colour, I found that button French polish was pretty indistinguishable.
It may not be the finish you are looking for but I would recommend water-based polyurethane, tough as old boots, and virtually id-iot proof. Ian edit If I had wanted to say silly person I would’ve written silly person – this site!
PS sorry I didn’t mean you, I meant me.
The recoil suite is the dark 'Tudor' Oak/Elm suite that the customer (friend of the family otherwise I would not touch it!!!) They want it stripped back to the natural colour to make it look more modern. I have stripped the dark Ercol in the past and not found it to be a problem apart from the end grain which requires a lot more sanding and an application of Oxalic acid.

Well the very best of luck with that! I wouldn’t know where to start to get that dark Ercol back to a natural colour.
It would be run away time!

Back