Quantcast
  • We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

"Rubber" for clearing sanding discs, belts, etc?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

AES

Established Member
Reaction score
There's a very interesting set of videos on You Tube from a bloke called Adrian Iredale about making wooden clocks, gears, etc. Almost in passing he mentions the use of some sort of "rubber" or "putty" to clean up his sanding discs n belts.

Would anyone happen to know where these are to be found (I've Googled and asked local suppliers without success), and more to the point, are such things any good/worth their cost?

I know that sanding media is not all that expensive but I do seem to get through a fair number of ali oxide discs, belts (and orbital sander sheets) in all grits from about 80 to down to 240.

(OK, it probably doesn't help that I use the same belts and discs on metal too - can't be bothered to change to emery every time)

;-)

Thanks in advance, AES

AES

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks baldplate. That's it exactly. Why didn't I think of Axi (they're really good to deal with, even if you're overseas).

Anyone know if these things are worth the price please?

AES

monkeybiter

Established Member
Reaction score
Try a short offcut of garden hosepipe, free and does the job. Just don't let the domestic controller catch you cutting bits off. :)

Argus

Established Member
Reaction score
AES":kftoe3jj said:
Anyone know if these things are worth the price please?

AES

Yes, used regularly as opposed to when absolutely necessary they will greatly prolong the life of an abrasive belt - quite cheap and lasts for years.

If you can still get the old-fashioned 'crepe' soled shoes, they work as well, but it needs to be a bit of 'sticky' rubber that doesn't get embedded in the belt. Hard rubber does not work well at all well.

Jensmith

Established Member
Reaction score
I have one after finding out about them when I did my box making course. They are brilliant. Disk looks like new.

Grahamshed

Established Member
Reaction score
I brought one of the Axi handled ones with my disk sander as well, No regrets so far.

red dave

Established Member
Reaction score
AES":2d4gz6gk said:
There's a very interesting set of videos on You Tube from a bloke called Adrian Iredale about making wooden clocks, gears, etc. Almost in passing he mentions the use of some sort of "rubber" or "putty" to clean up his sanding discs n belts.

Would anyone happen to know where these are to be found (I've Googled and asked local suppliers without success), and more to the point, are such things any good/worth their cost?

I know that sanding media is not all that expensive but I do seem to get through a fair number of ali oxide discs, belts (and orbital sander sheets) in all grits from about 80 to down to 240.

(OK, it probably doesn't help that I use the same belts and discs on metal too - can't be bothered to change to emery every time)

;-)

Thanks in advance, AES
I use a scrunged up free supermarket bags but be carefull with your fingers.

doorframe

Established Member
Reaction score
monkeybiter":2dva7eow said:
Try a short offcut of garden hosepipe, free and does the job.
pitch pine":2dva7eow said:
Hose pipe offcuts work well for me too.....
+1 for hosepipe. Saw the great man on the left using this a few years ago and been using it ever since.

Roy