RSTS12 Table saw conversion.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LyNx

Established Member
Reaction score
I picked up my RSTS12 today after travelling a 350 mile round trip to collect. I bought off ebay for £175 and it was in good nic. One thing i did notice once home and after a good look around, is that the main steel body is quite flexible. There is a little movement within the frame that i feel could do with some improvement.

As i'm still designing/drawing up my workshop layout, i would like to use this as a basis to create a knocking up bench/ table saw bench and router table all in one. I have the concept that if something in the workshop does 2 or 3 tasks then i stays, if only 1 then it goes (space is limited)

So to the design. I was going to remove the outer steel casing, keep the motor housing and sliding carriage setup but build the table around it. I'll have a 300mm overtop the the left, an out feed table on the back and remove the right hand aluminium table and replace with a large overtop that housed the router. This was all going to be high gloss laminated so i can use as a knocking up bench too.

Has anyone done anything like this, and what ideas can you add to this.

LyNx

Hi Lynk be careful I seem to remember that another forum member had one of these and it jumped around when it was switched on. So if you put it into a wooden box make sure your fixings will take the shock loading it gives out.

The design you are looking for sounds like a multishop or little shop, I have seen the plans at some of the free plan sites, A forum member also publised on in Good Woodworking, but both of these used the outer casing of the saw.

Best of luck

Bean

I'll have a search for plans that i can borrow a few ideas from.

Not sure if they had the same saw as this one is very gentle start and doesn't jump about, thank god

LyNx

I have one of these saws but my approach to best use of space was to put it on locking castors the machine does have issues and is only just strong enough so i have a supports from the mobile base to the table (rhs). The alloy table can bend where it is machined to clear the frame adj. to the blade and i have a support from the front edge to the main body so your idea to add a new table and fence will improve this
I have spent many hours improving the assembly adding washers and fixings to align everything up to work smoothly and it cuts up wood ok with good capacitys .

Back