RSBS14 bandsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoyS

Established Member
Reaction score
Several posters have written highly about this bandsaw and I am thinking of buying one. However, I am worried that the current model is in the Record Select blue range (ie for first time buyers).

Does anyone know whether this is the same model as the one that has been
recommended? and if so, does it have an induction motor?

Many thanks in advance - Roy

Roy,
I have the Bandsaw in question-had it for about 18 months now. Yes it is a Record Select model but it truly is a great machine. I use it for re-sawing mainly, as it has a 8 inch depth of cut. Powerful induction motor that doesnt bog down, roller guides all round, cast iron table, easy blade changes. And it will take 19mm wide blades. It has never let me down, and is well built.
So don't worry about the name-get one because its a well built reliable machine. If you have any other questions drop us a line.
regards,
Philly :D

Hi Roy

Before you go rushing off, are you SURE that it is the same machine.

Production for so many items has changed over the last twelve months that it might not be the same quality.

Cheers
Neil

The RBS14s are of a consistent quality - but hurry because I read somewhere that Record are phasing them out. Lord only knows why.
It really is a terrific bandsaw. I've just been working with a load of hard maple, and it didn't miss a beat. As Philly says - don't worry about it being a 'Select' - it's a great machine.
Stiles and Bates have some in stock at http://www.stilesandbates.co.uk

I was told by Record (a chap you claimed he worked on the design of the RSB14) at the last show I went to that this machine was being rebranded as their green range (5 year guarentee) this year - because the quality was so good. One thing the chap did tell me was that at present the cabinet base is less than rigid. This would be improved in the new version. Of course you could easily reinforce it yourself.
Cheers
Gidon

Neil, Gidon - I have e-mailed Record. They tell me that the current RSBS14 is still the same machine as ever was and also that they will be bringing out a new BS350 with a new guide system for about £500.

Thanks to everyone for their messages, and to Andy Leitch for private correspondence. A perfect example of how a news-group should work!

Roy

Hi Folks,

I have just bought a Record RSBS14 on ebay. The guy selling said I can go and see it and try before I buy.

Can you advise if there is anything I should look out for and if there are any warning signs of potential problems?

Thanks in advance.

Greg

After the experience I had with the one I got (BS350) I would give it a thorough check. Take the blade off and check the guide and thrust bearings (not expensive to replace but might give you bartering power if they have been abused). Spin the wheels by hand also - again the bearings on these are not expensive to replace (unless you get them from Record direct - 20 somethig versus 2 pound something from a bearing supplier) but if they have been stuck you could have a worn axle. Check the tyres also.

Might be worth asking what it's been used for. Turns out the one I bought was mostly used for cutting green timber for firewood with no vacuum so most moving parts on it were clogged up and shot.

I've replaced all the dodgey bits though now and it's a great machine so if the price is right even a dud might be worth getting.

Latest posts

Back