Routing with template guides

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

template tom

Established Member
Reaction score
Looking through the number of posts for the month I was interested in the number of users who may use the template guide with their router. For years I have been convinced that if we do not use the guides we are not getting the full potential from our router. I would be interested in any one who may agree with the statement
Tom
I should say also those who may disagree with the statement
Tom

hi tom. I am new(ish) to woodworking. But am very interested in learning about templating. I'm currently on the lookout for a template kit for my Triton Router, just need to convince the missus ;)

Hi Tom
It is very rewarding to make your own templates for hinges curves or whatever. Make a sketch of the requirement add on half the difference of the diameter of the cutter and guide and increase the size of the sketch by that amount. Cut out smooth and you have your jig.

Les

WiZeR":3q6rwb18 said:
hi tom. I am new(ish) to woodworking. But am very interested in learning about templating. I'm currently on the lookout for a template kit for my Triton Router, just need to convince the missus ;)
Not sure what a template Kit for a Triton Router really is maybe you could give more details
Tom

les chicken":36ypkk5q said:
Hi Tom
It is very rewarding to make your own templates for hinges curves or whatever. Make a sketch of the requirement add on half the difference of the diameter of the cutter and guide and increase the size of the sketch by that amount. Cut out smooth and you have your jig.

Les

Hi Les
What other projects do you use the template guides for I must try and post some pics of some of my work
Tom Not sure how it is done on this site

Without guide bushes you are restricting yourself to working to an edge with the fence or following an edge with bearing guided cutters.

As soon as you start to need nore than two identical cuts templated come into their own. Flush cutting trimming bits can be used around the edge but if you want to start locating holes, mortices and rebates then the guide bush comes into its own.

You can also flip a template over and get the mirror image so no layout errors.

I am just about to start an ash & stainless steel bench which will have a lot of templates and radius work, watch out for a SBS.

Jason

template tom":1bei0h8l said:
WiZeR":1bei0h8l said:
Not sure what a template Kit for a Triton Router really is maybe you could give more details
Tom

Router Template Guide Kit (TGA001)

at the bottom of this page:

http://www.triton.net.au/products/router_2.html

Hi Tom

mainy use it for powered dovetials (I don't cut half-blind DTs by hand)

with a template, I usually use a cutter with a bearing on it

Back