routing with ref to prev question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi I followed the advice concerning routing round a corner and fixed my router with the guides as described on the forums.(Bosch 500A)Now I find that I cannot do exactly what I wanted to. The thing I am trying to achieve is I have cut a template of a piece of wood with an oblong shaped cut out(for making an oblong inset door in a unit) I have clamped the template to my work now I want to plunge the router through the wood and cut out the door but how do I get it to curve around the corners. The guide won`t allow me to do that .I know a jigsaw would do it but I want to use the router becuase I want a 5mm clarance for some special trim.By the way my router is actually featured on your review page.Hope you can understand what I am trying to achieve .It is to enable me to have the door actually cut out of the main piece that its going into. Same idea on units for camper van on Reimo and Rainbow conversion site.Many thanks

Previous question

And now I depart 'cos my brain is failing utterly to make any sense of this - too much grog probably. :oops: Although one thing; is this an internal corner or external? And it sounds like a job for a bearing guided bit or guide bush possibly? Oh who am I kidding? You might as well ask me for advice on brain surgery at the moment; you've as much chance of a sensible answer. :roll:

Yarrr, Alf

<Yep, International Talk Like a Pirate Day has yet to conclude. Mercy...>

Making a cut using a template definitely requires a guide bush or bearing guided cutter.
Is your template the same size as the opening you want to cut?
If so, use a bearing guided cutter. This one requires that the template is attached to the underside of the piece. Also you would have to drill a hole to insert the cutter as it cannot be plunged. With this one you can work everything from the top, and plunge through.
If you don't want to buy a new cutter, but have a guide bush, you will need to make the template bigger (for an inside cut) or smaller (for an outside cut). The amount depends on what cutter and bush you use: Guide bush diameter minus cutter diameter divided by two.
Make sure your template is perfect! Every little detail is transferred to the finish piece.
Apologises if I'm teaching granny to suck eggs.... :roll:

Good luck!

Yes that sounds like the solution. its internal cut. I must agree you have to be a bit of a genius to understand what I was saying! but many thanks

Back