Routing on the lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UKTony

Established Member
Reaction score
I am in the process of making a telephone table for my mother, she wants the legs to look like the columns on her banisters which are round with flutes spaced equally apart. I have completed the legs and the top with the integral draw unit however i now need to get the flutes on the legs. I read somewhere in a Keith Rowley book that you can make a box to sit on the lathe and traverse the router across the top. Has anyone attempted this, i assume this is similar to the jig Trend sell???

Many Thanks

Tony

Norm has done something on that line.He built a box to fit over the piece with a slot cut into the box for a guide bush.You would need some way of indexing the workpiece and locking it to keep the router lines straight.Axminster sell an indexing ring for their chuck so I suppose other chuck manufacturers will do the same

Tony,

What Jaymar said!

The Trend router lathe also has the facility to rotate the workpiece while traversing the router, so can cut spiral flutes and barley twists as well.

Gary

Thanks for the advice, i think im getting there, i've built an MDF box which the router traverses along, the draper lathe sits on flat steel so no bars to worry about - ive had to do the indexing by marking the timber by eye on my scrap piece, when i try the final legs i was thinking of making a measuring jig so all four are the same, the hard part is getting the wood to stay in place when the router is on especially since my lathe doesn't have a spindle lock (assuming these exist) what ive done is drill a hole either side of the box and threaded two pieces of thick dowl through and clamped these together

Practice piece seems to have worked lets i hope i dont ruin 4 lengths of oak :)

Back