Routing End Grain?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wizer

Established Member
Reaction score
I want to make some square post caps from offcuts of balau decking. The decking boards are beveled on either side. I'd like to bevel the other 2 sides but I thought you couldn't bevel end grain? Is that right? Could someone suggest a solution?

I thought with end grain the router will split out ends? I'll give it a go over the weekend

You may get a bit of tearout at the end of the run, clamp a scrap to the block to stop it splitting. Also do it in a couple of passes as the endgrain may get burn marks if you take too much in one go or move the router too slowly.

Jason

Wizer
When routing endgrain, be sure and use a backer board to help stopping tear out. Apiece of same material will work fine.

Travis

WiZer,

What you are thinking of is the same making raised panels, only on a smaller scale.

Just be careful working with small parts that you don't pick up on the work and its whipped away. I would try to make a jig that you clamp the cap into while you machine the bevel.

When making raised panels, the end grain is cut first so any breakout is removed when the long grain is cut.

"Just be careful working with small parts that you don't pick up on the work and its whipped away. "

I much prefer it to be whipped away than toward me! Can't duck as fast as I used to be able.

DaveL":vozy1yt7 said:
WiZer,

What you are thinking of is the same making raised panels, only on a smaller scale.

Just be careful working with small parts that you don't pick up on the work and its whipped away. I would try to make a jig that you clamp the cap into while you machine the bevel.

When making raised panels, the end grain is cut first so any breakout is removed when the long grain is cut.

This is what I have used, both on my shaper (spindle moulder) as well as on a router table--when I had it.

http://www.deltamachinery.com/index.asp?e=139&p=1806

Still need a backing piece of scrap. Quick to interchange pieces though. If I remember correctly it was about $90 US at the time.

I have seen wood jigs with clamp hold downs based upon this cast version. Looked like they would work just fine and be fairly easy to make.

Back