Routing a slot

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's the dimensions of the original one (top view) - I think the sides are too thin to separate at that point and glue up.
Original Pod Drawing V0.jpg

Just a suggestion I would bevel the outside edges and stand them upright in a hexagon, the bottom slot I would take to the end and widen for the height of 3/4 capsule to allow them to be pulled out of the bottom slot, put the hexagon on a base, just a thought.

Here's the dimensions of the original one (top view) - I think the sides are too thin to separate at that point and glue up.View attachment 103572
3m slot is a TS blade width.
I'd dump the router idea altogether - I hate them anyway!
Make sides 23x8mm with 3mm slot over the TS
Attach then to a 30x15mm centre block
Glue in a stop block instead of the round end stop (doesn't have to be round)
Or failing that - have a router cutter made up to do the thing in one simple pass every time. If you are selling many of them it'd pay for itself very quickly I'd have thought - not just speed but consistent and faultless quality

Last edited:
Just a suggestion I would bevel the outside edges and stand them upright in a hexagon, the bottom slot I would take to the end and widen for the height of 3/4 capsule to allow them to be pulled out of the bottom slot, put the hexagon on a base, just a thought.
I did think of something like that, maybe even a base with a bearing in it. Thing is, it's getting more complex and the effort / profit ratio gets worse!

3m slot is a TS blade width.
I'd dump the router idea altogether - I hate them anyway!
Make sides 23x8mm with 3mm slot over the TS
Attach then to a 30x15mm centre block
Glue in a stop block instead of the round end stop (doesn't have to be round)
Or failing that - have a router cutter made up to do the thing in one simple pass every time. If you are selling many of them it'd pay for itself very quickly I'd have thought - not just speed but consistent and faultless quality
Jacob,
You've got me completely stumped about your tablesaw instructions! I'm sure they're clear in your head, but mine's on Short Wave this morning!

But the custom cutter is a great idea!

Last edited:
This is probably a dumb question but could this be made with a dovetail cutter rather than having the slot? I suppose the fit might be a bit too sloppy but to my eye a box template as described above with a dovetail bit and guide Bush should knock them out pretty quickly.

This is probably a dumb question but could this be made with a dovetail cutter rather than having the slot? I suppose the fit might be a bit too sloppy but to my eye a box template as described above with a dovetail bit and guide Bush should knock them out pretty quickly.
No such thing as a dumb question ...

It's a good idea. When I'm doing the machining, I'll see if I can find a small piece to try this on.

So, I drew a drawing, made a jig and routed the slot, using a 32mm guidebush and a 19mm cutter. I've taken a few pics of the jig and the finished product and there's a render of what I tried to make. Thanks for all the help. I just need to work out if I should productionise this, or knock it on the head!

6c53e073-18e2-4d16-8972-3f46d0a729bc.PNG

Render from Fusion 360

IMG_8829.jpg
IMG_8826.jpg
IMG_8830.jpg
IMG_8831 2.jpg

I know it's a personal choice but could you make this from thicker stock so that the tops of the capsules are uppermost on display rather than the unatractive and less pleasing to the eye crinkley bottom's :unsure: :)

I know it's a personal choice but could you make this from thicker stock so that the tops of the capsules are uppermost on display rather than the unatractive and less pleasing to the eye crinkley bottom's :unsure: :)
Mark,
I normally only make these for the small Nespresso pods, where you want to see the colour of the cap. These are possibly the only ones I’ll ever make of these.

Using stock that’s possibly 50mm thick and routing it all out seems hard work, more prone to wood movement and a bit of a waste of hardwood, so I doubt I’ll change my mind (until a customer ask for one!).

Agreed it would be a terrible waste of nice timber, was in no way meant to be critical of the finished article it looks great (y)only thing is when you get to a certain age you get fed up with looking at wrinkly bottom's:whistle::whistle::whistle:

Agreed it would be a terrible waste of nice timber, was in no way meant to be critical of the finished article it looks great (y)only thing is when you get to a certain age you get fed up with looking at wrinkly bottom's:whistle::whistle::whistle:

Mark,
I didn't take it as criticism, don't worry! Everyone's got an opinion and it's right that they're voiced.

I'm at that certain age, too!

Back