Routers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I am unsure whether to buy a Trent T9 or a Dewalt 625 has anyone had any experience of either or can they suggest something even better.

thanks
[email protected]

Personally I wouldnt go for the dewalt router. In my oppinion dewalt tools are over priced and over rated, so out of those two, i would go for the trend. Have you had a look at the freud FTE2000. I have run one for about three years (in a proffessional workshop), and it is still going strong. It also has the advantage of a nice big motor.

Cheers
Doughnut

We have a Trend T9 but unfortunately it hasn't seen much action. We're happy with it so far, though. It hacked away loads of half lap joints very efficiently in 44x44mm timber on our last major project. If you go for it, I suggest you invest in one of the on/off switch overrides too or you'll have difficulty using it in a router table.

yours

Gill

Yeah,

As a owner of one, (Freud) I`d go with Doughnut on the Freud.

It`s ideal for router table work because of the deeper plunge
it offers

Fine depth adjustment is included and not a extra

I do belive it has the biggest/powerful motor of all the routers

You can find them under the Draper badge aswell for the same price
Expect to pay £180/190 for them

103_FT2000E_A.gif

I do belive their made in Spain

Happy 100 registered users Charlie

Welcome To the Forums :)

Sorry to bring another router in but I've got th Porter Cable 7529 which costs £230 and love it. I use it in the router table mainly and it hasn't let me down yet.

The 7529, T9, Dewalt 625 and Freud are all good routers, I think you'll be pleased which ever one you choose..

Sawdust Producer":2zlpiolj said:
Happy 100 registered users Charlie

I have a Ryobi 601 for use in the router table & a Dewalt 621 for smaller hand stuff. I picked both of thes up 2nd hand on ebay.co.uk for about £140 each.

i have owned my freud for 2 months now, and although i have`nt used it in a router table (yet, currently building one) i have`nt had any problems with it yet, and am thourghly happy with it.

Its powerfull, got good plunge depth and i love the fine adjuster (very happy with it)

screwfix are quite good on price for this router

The freud seems to be popular.
When I bought mine, I thought that it had the biggest motor on the market, untill someone pi**ed on my chips, and told me that ryobi make a router with a bigger one.
Even so, the freud still has a bigger motor than some small spindle moulders. :lol:

Doughnut

Comparing the power rating of electric tools can be tricky. The power rating that is shown is always the input power, and the output power is always less than this. My Freud router gets quite warm when running in the router table for any length of time, so part of that 2000w of input power is being used to heat it up, instead of spinning the bit. So it is possible to find a 1800W router that is provides more power to the work than a 2000W router.

Cheers,
Richard

Hi dwood

Before taking the 'plunge' (pun not originally intended) you might want to take a look at http://www.mv.com/users/besposito/woodworking/

The Triton router seems to be getting rave reviews everywhere. I have the Elu MOF177E for handheld use, but wanted another router to dedicate to table work. After a lot of research I went for the Triton, and have not regretted it.

A multitude of thoughtful features make it a joy to use.

Good luck with your decision

eeyore

Thanks everyone for your kind responces. It is the first time I have posted and I am amazed at the replies. It makes a nice change to find people ready to help even though they get nothing out of it. I have found the advice really helpful I will let you know how I go on.

Thanks Again!

Thanks everyone for your kind responces. It is the first time I have posted and I am amazed at the replies. It makes a nice change to find people ready to help even though they get nothing out of it. I have found the advice really helpful I will let you know how I go on.

Thanks Again!

An afterthought.

When buying a router it's worth considering depth of plunge: very important if you plan to use templates or fix it in a table.

Yours

Gill

GillD":1fhzjinr said:
An afterthought.

When buying a router it's worth considering depth of plunge: very important if you plan to use templates or fix it in a table.

Yours

Gill

I took the plastic gaiters off my Frued and it give me more plunge
in fact the collet sticks out of the base......

Comparing the power rating of electric tools can be tricky. The power rating that is shown is always the input power, and the output power is always less than this. My Freud router gets quite warm when running in the router table for any length of time, so part of that 2000w of input power is being used to heat it up, instead of spinning the bit. So it is possible to find a 1800W router that is provides more power to the work than a 2000W router

You find a motor that is still rinning cold after 2 hours of use (not just run, but worked for two hours), and it'll be worth a lot of money.

Doughnut

Back