Routers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Also looking for a router. Can someone explain the difference between the Collet Size: Half & quarter inch and what are the functional differences.
Many thanks

Pretty much what it says on the tin really. 1/2" routers are more powerful than 1/4" ones, and will take 1/2" shank router cutters. 1/4" routers are usually more middle to lightweight, and will only take 1/4" shanked cutters although some also have an 8mm collet too. The 1/2" will do all the sizes for which there are collets for that machine, but being heavier aren't always practical for some jobs. So why d'you need different size shanks? Well the thicker the cutter shank the stronger the cutter, less flex etc. Generally the larger bits will only be available in 1/2". On the other hand, some of the finer bits are only available in 1/4", and they're cheaper too...

Sounds to me like you need a router primer, either on-line or a good starter book. Hopefully one of the router devotees round here can point you in the right direction.

Cheers, Alf

Alf":3ggi66hb said:
Sounds to me like you need a router primer, either on-line or a good starter book. Hopefully one of the router devotees round here can point you in the right direction.

Cheers, Alf
Welcome to the forum scmg :)

"The New Router Handbook" is a good book to learn about routers, you can buy it from Amazon - http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... 61-3123004

No matter which router you buy it will turn out to be the wrong one in a short time and you will be looking for another bigger/smaller/more powerful/lighter etc.I'm sure we have all gone down the same path.

jaymar":18o84fdt said:
No matter which router you buy it will turn out to be the wrong one in a short time and you will be looking for another bigger/smaller/more powerful/lighter etc.I'm sure we have all gone down the same path.

How true. You'll also need to get a secondary router for permanent fixing into the router table and another to save you from messing about changing bits whilst using certain jigs. Oh, and then you'll see some indispensable attachments that you really must have for your router.

Warn your bank manager :) !

Yours

Gill

Chris,

For some basic (and advanced) router info, try Pat Warner's website here:
http://www.patwarner.com/

Scroll down the page and the menu at left will point you to some introductory-type articles. Pat knows his stuff!

Back