Routers. Which 1/2" model?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I know routers have been covered before. Just wanted as much specific advice as possible?

I've got to buy a 1/2" router ASAP. Around 1850w. Cost not an issue!

It is essential that the height and fence adjustment is as precise as possible. I need to adjust easily to nearest 0.5 to 1.0 mm at a time.

Today I looked at Makita, Dewalt, Hitachi and Bosch 1300 and didnt really like any of them.

I've seen rave reviews of Triton, Bosch 2000 and wondered if anyone had good experience of these. Also, what does anyone think of Metabo?
I had an Orbital Sander years ago and it was the best sander I've ever used. Trouble is, Metabo seem to be a bit thin on the ground and it seems almost impossible to look at them before buying.

Does anyone know anything about Porter Cable? I've a good review of this one too. Also, I'm assuming Freud although cheaper is not so hot on quality?

Sorry for all the questions! Hope you can get back to me!!

Many thanks in advance,

I`ve had my freud for a while now and am completely satisfied with it, i would go so far as to say that i can`t flaw it!

have you considered the big Trend router (i forget the model number), or is that not powerful enough?

Where i used to work they have the big Dewalt router, and think its the best thing since sliced bread.... i suppose its all down to personal preference

metabo seem REALLY expensive, but i gather are top quality.

Steven, thanks for the reply.

your'e not the first to praise the Freud. I'm going to see one tomorrow to check.
To be honest I've never seen a big Trend anywhere, having said that I'll check on the internet in a minute.

I looked over the Dewalt this morning. I just didn't like it. A bit flash and imagey maybe. A chap that does work for me said they all had these in a joiners shop he worked at a while ago and they raved about them as well.

I was all ready to buy a Makita as it came strongly recommended but thought the fence was dire. Also there was slight play in the plunge tubes.
I'm curious about the Triton, I wonder if anyone uses them on here.

I'd love to see a metabo, but they seem to be special orders in 1/2".

Chris,

Friend of mine has got a Ryobi but he's not too keen on it because the depth stop keeps shifting if he comes down hard on it.

Perhaps I should have asked what 1/2" routers to stay clear of!!!!

Thanks for getting back.

Steven,

Yes, just looked up Trend. T9 1800w model. Seems ok, features and pricewise. Does anybody use one of these?!

I think I'm going to end up running round in circles here somehow!

I just HATE ending up with an item that is not quite right or could have been improved on if I'd known better. I bought a Kity 619 bench saw last year. It's ok but I don't like the riving knife arrangement. If I need to take it off (which I know I shoudnt) it's one hell of a fiddle, whereas on the Sheppach it's apparently a lot easier.

Regards

I have the same problem, I a looking for a new Router (money not an issue) I had been keen on the DeWalt but the more I have seen it the less I like it, more image than quality and design.

I do like the Makita it has a very smooth plunge action. but I have always had good results with Matabo and the METABO OFE 1229 looks a nice piece of kit with a nice microgauge. http://www.axminster.co.uk/default.asp?part=OFE1229

A big plus for me is a switch rather than a trigger. I had looked at the B&Q Routers but the have a nasty heavy to hold down trigger, it would be a real pain to hold down if used extensively (literally)

Axminster highly rate the CMT http://www.axminster.co.uk/default.asp?part=CMT1850 I have never seen it in the flesh and would love to hear comments on it. I had never heard of it until I saw it in the Axminster book.

I am starting favour the Triton. Many people highly rate it and I would like to have another look at it in the flesh and hear any opinions. It has a great rack and pinion plunger with fine adjustment, 2400W motor and although it's one of the ugliest things I have seen for a while, it has character. For fixing to a router table it also has a removable plunge spring and top changing bit facility and I believe a very deep plunge depth but I won't say how deep because I can't remember.

Anyway still very confused and don't want to make a regretful buy

You buy first and let me know how you go :wink:

Steve

One last point. If anyone has the Triton, what about that odd fence? is it ground breaking or just a spare baking tin as it looks?

Hi matsro

I've got a T9. It's got a soft start, variable speed, triple turret, decent height adjustment, good plunge depth and a wide range of accessories. The densest material I've used it on is 18mm MDF with a coving cutter and it took it in its stride. I've also used it to cut half laps in 44mm PAR pine (ie cutting out a straight inch) and it whizzed accurately through that too.

I've had mine for approx a couple of years now. I don't use it incessantly but it certainly seems to be capable of hard use.

Incidentally, Kevin Ley (whose speciality is routing) uses a T9 because he drives his machine hard and feels that Trend will offer a superb support service for their machines should he ever have to resort to it.

What actually sold me the T9 was that I tried out several at a show and found the T9 the easiest to handle. Most of the other routers from reputable stables are comparable, so I suggest that you go try a few out and see which one you find the most comfortable.

Yours

Gill

Hi all, I've just typed out and tried to post a reply but I don't think it happened. If its duplicated, apologies!

Thanks for all replies.

Stevezm, What have you looked at? What do think so far? Don't know if I want to spend £300 so you know which router not to buy!! Only joking.

What do people think of tool dealers. They appear biased towards products they want to sell ,not whats best for the end user?

I looked at Freud today and thought it good value .Also looked at Trend T9 ,liked the fence adjustment but thought it a bit dear up against other proven makes? The dealer kept pushing the Hitachi, probally cos they are a Hitachi dealer! Although I gather Hitachi are tried and tested and sell well.

Finally, I looked at the Triton! ummmmm. What do people think about THAT one! I couldnt work out how to use it without reading the manual, nor the shop manager! The fence.......well yes baked bean cans do come to mind but at least it's shiny pressed metal! Once seeing the fence arrangement I decided I wouldnt be proceeding any further. I wonder whether James Dyson had a hand in bringing this router out. I'd love to see someone bringing this one onto a building site!

Apparently the CMT router is a rebadged DeWalt. I agree with you about the Makita plunge. I just think the fence lets it down, badly.

Gilld, yes, quite liked the T9 but thought it quite expensive for what it was and apparently there has been problems with the fine height adjuster.

Anyway. Any more opinions anyone? Would love to hear. I've got to have one by mid next week!

I forgot to mention Metabo this time round.

Is anyone using a Metabo Router?

What are they like?

The dealers say nobody buys them, therefore they don't stock them.
Metabo have been around a long time, They are German and quite expensive SO are they particularly good? or an unpopular router for good reason. A dealer nearby is getting one in for me to see within a few days so I guess I'll soon know. Just wanted to hear from users.

Thanks in advance

matstro

Aww,,,, you won't buy one first and let me know :lol:

I would like to see that Metabo, I bet the build quality is very good, but check out the motor noise level. I like Metabo as a rule they are well constructed. Please let me know what you think when you see it.

Hitachi are good machines and outside the UK their green bodies are one of the most commonly seen Routers, (Honda reliability)

Back to the Triton. If you look at the Triton website www.triton.net.au you will notice the motor is 2400watt yet here it's reduced to 2000 (still a goodly size motor) but it annoys me that so many things are down graded before they come to the UK. My Sony Digi cam was bought in Taiwan and it has stacks more features than the same model sold here and was 2/3 the cost :cry: . Sometimes Britain SUX

That Triton Fence doubles as a circle cutting jig, I am not so sure it might not be a top design idea soon to copied by other brands. I had a look at it today and I liked the build quality but to be honest I am going to buy it from Australia, if I decide to get it that is? I take what you say about using it on site :p but again I think it would cause more interest than just another, Dewalt, yawn....

Thanks for the CMT info by the way.

Stevezm, Hi

Yeah ok I'll share the results of countless lost working hours trawling round these shops with you!!!! It does help though to have feedback on these things. At least it's unbiased info. I'll let you know all!

Back to the Triton. Perhaps I'm writing it off a bit hastily. Trouble is I'm a Furniture Restorer and mostly use a router with the fence. If I'm routing the edge of say an old table top to match an existing profile, the fact that the Triton fence is quite a big expanse of flat metal means it will bridge more easily any undulations in the table top. This means I may get an uneven edge relative to the top surface.

Manufacturers make seemingly good machines and then let them down with the detail such as fences and adjustment mechanisms etc.
I believe the Triton come sinto its own when used with a router table, something to do with the collet protruding above the surface? I think!
So, if you're gonna use it that way maybe you'll like it.
I don't actually think what something looks like comes into it if the machine does the job well.

Wood1000,

As I said much earlier I've heard good things about the Porter Cable.
What do you especially like about them compared to whats usually available in the US? I'm assuming I CAN buy them here in the UK?!

Thanks for the replies, regards

Ok, thanks Wood1000.

I like the Makita Router. Its highly recommended here by Joiners etc. Don't like the fence though. Probally better for template work etc?

Each to their own I guess, depends what you need one to do perhaps.

Regards

You can buy Porter Cable tools from Rutlands.

I have the PC 7529! It lives in the router table (handles the big raised panel cutters) but its great freehand too. Has a built in fine height adjuster and with a simple homemade jig/helper makes setting the cutter height in the table a breeze. The fence is very good too 8)

If I had the spare money I would buy a second one for freehand use.

http://www.rutlands.co.uk/cgi-bin/psPro ... |user||14|

I take your point about the Triton but surely the fence sits to the overhang side of the table and won't be effected by the undulations in the top, what do you think?

I the case of the fence having to cross the surface area of the work for any reason in my experience on a large flat surface it would have the opposite effect that you suggest, it would lessen the effect of an uneven surface rather than enhance it, although I am open to arguement.

I have to agree with the Makita comment, I like the feel of the Makita, on a down, for me, it is trigger activated, however, it's a lovely feather touch trigger but like you I use the Router a lot off the table and I prefer a switch such as the Triton and my trusty old Elu

Still onwards and up

I've got the 1250w router. It's made by Power Performance Professional. It's a great little router and wasn't too much money.

You can get it at B&Q

Back