Routers. Which 1/2" model?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, thanks for all the replies, excellent info.

Steve, ref; Triton.
As far as I can see, the fence attatches to a big pressed base plate which in turn fixes to the base of the router which in turn makes the effective size of the router base the size of the pressed plate= big!
I want to rout the edge of an old table leaf to match an original profile.
If this old table leaf is slightly wavy which they often are then the newly routed edge needs to follow the wavyness. The bigger the router baseplate the more the wavyness is bridged so you end up with a wavy table top but a dead straight edge. I admit I'm splitting hairs a bit here! but these little things can catch you out! Of course if I've interpreted the Triton fence arrangement wrongly all the above goes out the window.
What do you think?

Ref. Porter Cable. I'll look into them. There were some rave reviews on the Rutland site.

I'm going to look at a Metabo tomorrow, also a Festo, at £365 + vat gulp!
I'll let you know how I get on.

On a seperate note, I just wanted to tell you about trying to see and buy a Metabo Router.

I live near Bristol, a major city. Ringing round a number of dealers who sell Metabo, they all said they had no Routers in stock and wouldnt get one in for me to look at unless I made a commitment to buy, because Metabo don't do sale or return. Very helpful!

I rang Metabo who said ring round the dealers to see if they had a router in stock. I asked them what I should do if no dealer had one and I wanted to look at one. They suggested I go to the head office at Southampton. I told them it was hardly surprising that their products were not popular if the customers couldnt look at them ! Metabo told me this was the dealers fault because the dealers would not stick their necks out an dbuy stock in. On talking to the dealers the dealers said they wouldnt buy Metabo stock in cos it doesnt sell.

As I said, how helpful is that for the end user, who, after all are the ones who keep all these people in business.

I did eventually track one down after a lot of effort and as said earlier am going to see it tomorrow.

It seems perhaps tools are often sold as a result of slick marketing rather than on their merit? What do you think. The name DeWalt comes to mind!

sounds to me like a "circular error", I`d have to ask why the hell the shops should have to put up the capital investment of buying the metabo stock in?

surely if metabo want to sell routers, they should be stocking their dealers on a "sale and return" basis.

as for not even having a display model....... well........ no wonder there are so many dewalt routers about!

you have to ask the question "how is the customer service/support going to be after you buy a metabo router???"

seems a strange way to do buisness to me :(

as you said, only the end user is going to loose out really (and the stupid bloke that owns metabo)

Point Noted Both of you.

It surprises me that Matabo (who are of course Elektra Bekum also) are so poorly represented in the UK.

I will in their defence add that the Southampton HQ have always offered me great service on the Matabo and EB tools I have they are prompt and curtiuos.

I suppose given the many thousands of dealers in the UK it would be expensive to offer sale or return. Matabo don't have the purse of Dewalt and often offer better quality as a result. If Matabo supplied at the rate Dewalt do then we would expect to see a bland product with a Label the only difference between them and their competition.

Matstro

It would be nice if someone that has the Triton could comment on the Fence. If you are trying to copy the inperfections of the wavy top then a bigger base will effect that oucome, I hope the Image of the Triton I have added to this message appears OK. I noticed that the Fence Guide doesn't increase the width of the base plate as it is the same size.

We have similar expectations of our Router, I guse if the profile blade has a bearing guide this also would eliminate that problem.

I will post this and see if the Pic arrives

frontback.jpg

[/img]

Hi
I bought a second hand Elu MOF 98 off Ebay last week. It's 1600W 1/2" - seems well built. I paid £80+delivery for it. So you may want to have a look on Ebay.
Does anyone know anything about this router?
Also - it doesn't have variable speed - does anyone know if this will be a problem? I guess it depends on the size of the bit - but could I still run a large panel raising bit without any problems?
Many thanks
Gidon

depending upon the lack of any electronic "funnies" in the router, i see no reason why a third party variable voltage supply could be used with the router to give you a variable speed control.

I`m sure these are available and I`m sure Ive seen one somewhere once...........

I was told by a Supplier Today that they only stocked Quality Tools hence they didn't hold any Dewalt Routers. Interesting Verdict.

stevezm,

Ok, I know I'm replying to two places at once here, sorry.

They only stock quality routers so not DeWalt. Sounds a bit pompous to me! Which routers DO they stock. Yours answers going to be a bit telling?

To be honest, today when looking at that DeWalt ,I thought it was ok actually, seemed better than quite a few of the others. Better than Festool anyway.

The CMT is indeed a an exact clone of the DeWalt DW625 in all respect except the colour and price - CMT is orange, not yellow, and about £50 or so cheaper.

I've got the DeWalt - it's a good router and I would happily buy another one as I'm fed up swapping between hand and table use. I would have a look at the Triton TRB001 and Bosch GOF2000 first though.

I didn't like the Trend T9 when I tried it - seemed a bit flimsy and overpriced.

Regards.

PitBull.

Back