Routers (again!!)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuartpaul

Established Member
Reaction score
Still on that elusive router hunt.

I've been watching various threads and whilst the triton really does look like its the best for my needs the price is really pushing my boundaries and I'm having trouble justifying it even to myself let alone SWMBO!!

What are opinions like for Hitachi (I've had a 1/4 inch one for yonks) Makita and Ryobi 1/2 inchers? Whatever I get will almost certainly spend its life upside down in a routalift.

As I've said before I've always bought at the cheaper end for 1/2 inch but feel the time is right to move up a notch. The triton is probably a couple of notches higher than I can currently go.

Stuart,

It would an excellent choice.

I've got 2 Hitachi's - a venerable TR12 and an M12V. The M12V is in my router table as unlike the TR12 it has the variable speed essential for the larger cutters that aren't safe for freehand work. Since most of my freehand work only requires smallish cutters, the TR12 is fine (perfect for k/worktops), or I use the Trend T5 for the smaller pieces of work.

I said it before and once more, Hitachi are pretty much bulletproof, industrial-strength tools. Plunge depth isn't the greatest of routers on the market, but I modded my (cast iron) table so I only lose 6mm of depth. I have tended to run more with bigger heavier cutters on the table rather than smallish stuff, and I find the Hitachi copes easily with the largest cutters.

It's a simple machine with few frills but being Hitachi, I'm confident it'll to do exactly what it says on the tin for as long or maybe even longer than just about any other brand - i.e. donkey's years!.

Ike

Stuart, not on your list but have you considered the Freud FT2000? Based on comments here and elswhere it comes recomended as a highly spec'd but reasonably priced router well suited for the table.

I do not own one but if the tuit ever gets to the top it would be high on my list.

Andy

Don't consider the Ryobi - I had their big one and whilst it's powerful enough for just about anything and easy for hand-held use, it's not robust at all and the vent slots at the base are totally inappropriate for under-slung use. The push-in spindle lock broke on mine and once it does, that's virtually that, because of the way it's made.

I've got a Triton now and ABSOLUTELY recommend it. Prior to purchase, I tried both a DeWalt and the Hitachi you mention, but they're lightweights in comparison. The Triton is MADE for table use and has a number of unique and really worthwhile features. You don't need a router lift, thanks to the easy-to-remove plunge spring and the rack and pinion raising, together with micro-adjustment built in, so if you discount a routerlift from a router/raiser combination price, then add the ease of above-the-table bit-changing, it's a no-brainer for me. :)

Ray.

Argee":3c7vupf1 said:
I've got a Triton now and ABSOLUTELY recommend it. Prior to purchase, I tried both a DeWalt and the Hitachi you mention, but they're lightweights in comparison. The Triton is MADE for table use and has a number of unique and really worthwhile features. You don't need a router lift, thanks to the easy-to-remove plunge spring and the rack and pinion raising, together with micro-adjustment built in, so if you discount a routerlift from a router/raiser combination price, then add the ease of above-the-table bit-changing, it's a no-brainer for me. :)

Ray.
I totally agree Ray. The Triton is the best router that I have owned. Best table mounted but very good for cutting circles within circles (Not possible on the bandsaw). I would not use it with mortice jigs as it is too heavy and has too much power.

Argee":3189vb55 said:
if you discount a routerlift from a router/raiser combination price, then add the ease of above-the-table bit-changing, it's a no-brainer for me.

Completely. Much cheaper overall.

Thanks for all the responses.

As I already have the routalift the cost of that isn't in the equation.

Cheapest Triton I've managed to track down is £220 + postage so I'm probably looking at the thick end of £240, - more than I really wanted to pay. Also not sure how it would fit on the routalift as I most certainly wouldn't be able to afford another mounting plate.

Freud might be a runner, - will need to look up some more info.

Anyone use makita? They seem like a reasonable machine.

:d stuart i have a dewart 625 on a routerlift it fits well and is powerful since you are in bridport take a trip down to axminster to talk to them there when i went to them they had some routers on a routerlift to demo i,m not to sure if they will still have them but it might be worth a try :p

martyn :D

stuartpaul":2tcqlr6a said:
Thanks for all the responses.

Cheapest Triton I've managed to track down is £220 + postage so I'm probably looking at the thick end of £240, - more than I really wanted to pay.
Try E bay I bought my first Triton Router for £170 +carriage and the second for £165 and was give a third.

Axminster sell the CMT for £179 (free extension cable at the mo too).

I just replaced my old 1/4" Bosch with a CMT and the only complaint that I've got so far is a sticky collet. However, I understand that sticky collets are not unusual in any case. Other than that it great.

Yep, - already tracking the ebay one (now £51).

Watching a few others as well.

Have to say there really is some rubbish on there, - 'the best 1/2 inch router on ebay' for the princely sum of £29!!!

stuartpaul":8f865hn0 said:
Anyone use makita? They seem like a reasonable machine.
Yep, I use one in the table. Much like the Hitachi, its built very well and I would expect it to last for years. Very nice hand-held as well incidentally, electric brake is very handy. Rubbish fence though.

I wouldn't have thought you would get one for much less than £220 though... Make sure you're looking at the 3612C (variable speed) rather than the 3612 (single speed, quite a lot cheaper)

<edit> I forgot to say - if I knew then what I know now, I would have bought the Triton instead, but I guess if you already have the raiser it isn't so clear-cut.

Cheers,
Neil

Having sold the Hitachi and makita for years, i can say they are both very fine machines, i'd go for which one feels best for you. One point to consider tho, if you are using a lot of mdf, the hitachi has a tendancy to suck some of the fine dust into itself, and this can cause problems with the electronis speed control (expensive repair), but if your not using mdf then this won't pose a problem. From my experience (and other dealers) the Dewalt 625 router (at least the current run) is known to burn out pretty easily, leading to more problems in the warranty period than other makes. The freud is also a good machine, not quite as refined as the others, but that is reflected in the price. They also have a new, bigger model out, i think the code is a FT3000, but don't know much about them yet. Another way to save a few quid may be to look out for casals routers with the same code as the freuds ( Casals is the spanish company that make the freud routers).

Hope this helps.

Matt.

wait another month and get the Triton, you will not regret a penny of it

Can't see the triton getting on well with a router-raiser, though.

CMT is a good machine, especially at that price.

Dewalt 625 router (at least the current run) is known to burn out pretty easily
I used to swear by the 625 as my Elu one lasted years in fact it was still running when i bent the shaft inside :oops: (dont ask) :oops:
I replaced it with the Dewalt 625 and have had to replace a bearing within a year at the cost of 60 quid .

I replaced it with the Dewalt 625 and have had to replace a bearing within a year at the cost of 60 quid .

You could have that repaired under warranty for nowt.

The dewalt 625 looks like the old elu machine, just a different colour, same with most of the dewalt/old elu machines. It's the insides where the diference is, when the elu parts started running out, they were replaced with lesser quality, cost saving dewalt parts, that where the problem starts. A customer has just ordered one of the new dewalt 626 routers off us, so we'll see how that goes, hopefully it will be problem free.

Matt.

Back