Router won't work

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmybigfoot

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have a pro 1/2 inch router. I think I got it from B&Q. It's quite old but has only done little work. Anyway, today I get it out the box after 2 years and it won't work. I've had the switch off and the front plastic cover and there is no dust and nothing is melted. Even the brushes are good. Can anyone help?
Thank jim

If you have an amp meter check for continuity, perhaps a wire has has come loose from a terminal/plug or, more of a pain, broken within the sheathing of the cable.

A couple of suggestions....

With the plug OUT of the wall socket, spin the shaft by hand a few times, just to help the brushes to contact the commutator,

Check that the brushes are not stuck.

Operate the switch vigorously at least a dozen times.

Operate the speed controller from min to max a few times, again to help the contact.

Further than that, some continuity checks are in order.

devonwoody":i2hjm9qv said:
Quite often routers have a safety action, like collet and router bit in safe mode etc.

DW... I've got a few 'Pro' routers. They're cheap as chips (but perfectly OK, if a little unrefined). There's not a safety device on any of them.

HTH

Roy

Hey guys thanks for your help. As it turned out my dad had a look and wiggled the switch and got it working after a while. I'll have to get a new switch.
Thanks jim

Back