Router: Using a raised panel bit without a router table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LBCarpentry

Established Member
Reaction score
Everywhere online is saying it must be used in a router table. Has anyone used one over the top though. Only got two panels to router. I understand the dangers but is it an absolute no go?

Router bits look to be around 75mm in diameter so a nice slow speed and steady hand I guess?

I’m not being flippant but there’s probably a good indication that you shouldn’t do it based on what everyone is saying online.

They don't recommend it for a reason. It is a huge bit that can easily get away from you and come back to bite.

You can do it but you will want a router with a soft start and turned down as slow as it can go. The most important thing is to set the depth of cut to just take a little off with each pass especially for the last few passes where you are using the full bit. When I say a "little" I mean at least half a dozen passes. That many passes ups your exposure and risk, especially when that bearing is about to come off the end.

Making a quick router top out of a sheet of birch plywood with the router screwed to it and nailed to a couple sawhorses makes it infinitely safer than doing it by hand. A board held with a couple clamps serves as a fence.

Pete

MikeG.":1jppfcvv said:
You're a carpenter/ joiner. You ought to have a router table. :wink:

an experienced one.....

so i binned it and got a spindle moulder... :lol:

,,,its just that the spindle moulder is currently set up for another task :roll:

Inspector":3o0vj98c said:
They don't recommend it for a reason. It is a huge bit that can easily get away from you and come back to bite.

You can do it but you will want a router with a soft start and turned down as slow as it can go. The most important thing is to set the depth of cut to just take a little off with each pass especially for the last few passes where you are using the full bit. When I say a "little" I mean at least half a dozen passes. That many passes ups your exposure and risk, especially when that bearing is about to come off the end.

Making a quick router top out of a sheet of birch plywood with the router screwed to it and nailed to a couple sawhorses makes it infinitely safer than doing it by hand. A board held with a couple clamps serves as a fence.

Pete

Nyers I was considering this. If over the top is a no go - and it seems like it is, then this is the next least tedious task :lol:

The long and short of it is in a solid router table if the cut for whatever reason bites it'll chuck the lightweight workpiece back, in a hand-held router with the workpiece clamped it'll chuck the router back with the large sharp thing spinning at over 100 times a second back at the operator.

This is a good example of routing gone wrong, granted it's climb-cutting on a palm router doing a job that's really too much load without handles, Graphic Video Warning: https://youtu.be/xseF_8mUIJg?t=261

Trevanion":3il23x0d said:
This is a good example of routing gone wrong, granted it's climb-cutting on a palm router doing a job that's really too much load without handles, Graphic Video Warning: https://youtu.be/xseF_8mUIJg?t=261

It is a good example of routing gone wrong. As you say though, totally different to what LBC wants to do, he knows what he's doing, the chap in the video is a wally.

I dunno Bob, I've certainly seen people that have been woodworking most of their lives still be complete wallies on occasion...

Didn't we have a guy who had over thirty years of experience advocate running timber over a surface planer with cast-iron weights on top? :lol:

Trevanion":19o4taav said:
Didn't we have a guy who had over thirty years of experience advocate running timber over a surface planer with cast-iron weights on top? :lol:

Stop it, I miss the old rogue ......... he was very adept and slippery as an eel in a discussion but at least the old boy discussed rather than got angry and shouty, at no point did it feel like he was unhinged unlike a few others :D
I still don't think he did the above practice, I think he said it because he likes being unique and then couldn't back down so kept up the pretence.

thetyreman":fqd2w0mi said:
I would use a hand plane.

Not on a tricoya panel you wouldn’t.

And if you would then your not using my plane :p

it’s a resounding no, I get it.

Big hole in ply it is (hammer)

Not that I'm suggesting you do it without a table, but I suspect with a bit of thought/planning you could get rid of a load of waste with standard straight cutters first. I've use cutters before that have been recommended for use only in a table, it's been perfectly OK ....... but I've made sure there was absolutely nothing to distract or get in the way, and taken half a dozen or more passes.

LBCarpentry":36q2it42 said:
thetyreman":36q2it42 said:
I would use a hand plane.

Not on a tricoya panel you wouldn’t.

And if you would then your not using my plane :p

it’s a resounding no, I get it.

Big hole in ply it is (hammer)

fair enough, I just presumed you were using solid woods, what about using a table saw? or is it too big for that?

Is there a theoretical reference to show this danger?
Because saying it shouldn't be done doesn't tell you why not to do it.
There is much said about a cutter "biting" and coming back on you.
What's it biting on if you're going forward in the correct manner.
High speeds and large circumference gives a scary gyroscopic effect but no one has mentioned if this is why.
Cheers Andy

Back