Router Top with Sliding Table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ian Dalziel

Established Member
Reaction score
I am contemplating building a new top for my router table. I was looking at incorporating the spindle moulder sliding carriage that axminster sell for there spindle moulders.
I was looking at making the top around 50mm thick but have a step down at the front to incorporate the carriage so it brings it flush with the rest of the table top.
Has anyone already tried this here and if so any photos would be appreciated

Ian

I used the sliding table (sold as an accessory by Axminster, approx £140) from one of the Kity saws for the router table I made. Will try to post a pic later. I found it quite easy to fit to a flat surface
John

Triton router table has a sliding set up. Using their table complete with fence etc might be a short cut to what you are considering.

Are the Triton router table's any good ? If it's the one ive seen you buy the top and the legs / base seperately which comes to about £200 i think.

Are they any good?>

Jase

You can purchase just the tabletop and either fit to your triton workcentre or a regular triton base dedicated to the table complete with the nvr switch.
Myself I have just the workcentre plus this router table. In addition I constructed a base as an addition for the router table therefore reducing the cost down to £99. I use the NVR switch from my workcentre to operate the router.

As regards if it is any good, I purchased the kit almost 3 years ago and it has always performed any task I have set up.
You can also purchase additional accessories, the biscuit kit, also works for me but some people might require a mobile version for some biscuit setups.

I believe triton have a 30 day return policy so if you were not satisfied you can always return the table.

The Triton i must admit looks a good choice. For £200 anyway for both. Your the first person ive come across who has one unless i go on another forum in Aussie land :?

Does anyone else have one or have any views on it ?

Jase
Coggy

Ian this is something I had never thought of and is a great idea, having just had a spindle moulder on loan I am nowback to using the router table and although I don't actually miss the spindle moulder I do miss the sliding carriage.

Have you thought about using the sliding carriage from the Scheppach moulder? It is a lot more expensive at £415+VAT but is the business and looks like it would be easy to mount.

Every time I come to this forum I find a new way to spend money :roll:

Keith

Keith,
I did have the scheppach sliding carriage on my TS but i sold it as a package. It wouldnt really have been suitable for my table as the on/off buttons etc and drawers are mounted on the front and i dont want to lose accuracy by dismounting it on a regular basis.it was also quite heavy if i remember rightly. thanks for your thoughts and ideas.
The job in mind i have the sliding carriage doesnt need a lot of travel and i felt looking at the axminster one that it would be perfect with a stepped tabletop to keep it all the same level.
I did look at just mounting the sliding carriage to what i have but it concerned me that i would have to have the router cutter a fair bit through the table before it starts to cut
I would still keep my router top at present and just swap tops if the particular job requires it.

John......did you manage to find any photos of your setup

Ian

Sorry off sick at the moment chest infections. I expect it was Sydney 34c next day London minus 2c.

Be in touch later in the week.

John

coggy":22rssvh1 said:
The Triton i must admit looks a good choice. For £200 anyway for both. Your the first person ive come across who has one unless i go on another forum in Aussie land :?

Does anyone else have one or have any views on it ?

Jase
Coggy

Jase

Sorry only just seen your post I have a complete Triton setup, both Saw and Router table both are excellent so more than happy to answer any questions

With the Triton workcentre 2000 it is possible to fit up the large sliding table this handles an 8x4ft sheet and I see no reason if the router top is connected to the workcentre base that this sliding carriage would have any problem using the router and this carriage also.

Not many bits of equipment on the market in that price range that could cope with those dimensions.

I have a triton router table which I have screwed to an old fold-up workmate which I use as a portable set-up.

the table performs ok for most duties. only minor drawbacks are the router base plate is not easily levelled to the rest of the table, and the feather boards / strips are not very strong if you work with larger material.

Plus side: the kit comes with most of the stuff you'll need, even a lenght of hose! Dust extraction is fairly good to use. Fence is quick to adjust.

Cheers

sam

ian what a good idea
your ingenuity in producing that wooden rip fence for the saw table was a peach. have you considered creating your sliding table from scratch.?
last year i looked a jet super saw, this had a sliding part to its table top, on close inspection the castiron sliding panel appeared to run on what looked like full extension drawer slides laying flat on their side.
if your visiting the glasgow show next week check it out to see for your self .
dave w

devonwoody":2y0g01hs said:
Sorry off sick at the moment chest infections. I expect it was Sydney 34c next day London minus 2c.

Be in touch later in the week.

John

Sydney was a big girl no wonder your off sick!..... :wink:

desmoengine":lzvyctuo said:
ian what a good idea
your ingenuity in producing that wooden rip fence for the saw table was a peach. have you considered creating your sliding table from scratch.?
last year i looked a jet super saw, this had a sliding part to its table top, on close inspection the castiron sliding panel appeared to run on what looked like full extension drawer slides laying flat on their side.
if your visiting the glasgow show next week check it out to see for your self .
dave w

Its on the drawing board or should i say sketchup but its down the list of prioritys for now.
i am currently making my own dovetailed infil plane from the shepherd stable which is taking more hours than i thought also i'm doing a tool cabinet/chest which is almost done.

Ian

Sydney was definately big, trouble was, I was on my feet for two whole days, and you will find when you get older its not like the old days .

If anyone is interested I can post some pictures of the Triton router table
set up later today.

Latest posts

Back