Router tables

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rod.norman

Reaction score
Hi, I’m currently incorporating a router table into my workbench but I’m considering upgrading my plunge router that I was going to use and was wondering what others feel is the best router for mounting in a table situation and whether 1/4” or 1/2” would be best.

thanks

1/2 for table mounting. You just have so many more options, including getting a collet to use 1/4 bits if you need to.

Hi, I’m currently incorporating a router table into my workbench but I’m considering upgrading my plunge router that I was going to use and was wondering what others feel is the best router for mounting in a table situation and whether 1/4” or 1/2” would be best.

thanks
You need to visit Peter Seftons site ,these routers are probably the best there is.

Clive.

If you search these forums this topic has been well covered, @MikeK has an amazing setup that I suspect you could use indoors without creating much dust and using all top quality components, there is a link to his build here as well. Yes look at Woodworkers workshop and you will not be disapointed, Routing & Table Saw Systems and Jessem, Incra and Woodpecker all top quality.

Before making a decision do a price comparison, when I did the Jessem package at £665 or the remote speed controller version at £765 may at first seem expensive but when you add up a 1/2 router, the lifter and a muscle chuck comes out at around £600 with Triton router or £720 with a 625 the difference is minimal and as I said in a previous post, had I not already got a router this would have been the route I would have gone.

With out doubt have a look at the Trend range of tables and routers. Trend is one of the best router companies in the world. Not only does it offer a variety of options you get superb support and product longevity and quality. There's a product for every budget and not to mention a superb range of routing accessories.

Get one of their latest catalogues - far better than traipsing through websites and it's a routing reference for the routing world. A spot-on Trend stockists is Miles Tools and Machinery based in Yeovil Somerset - very friendly and helpful staff.

Good luck

I have the big Festool which is terrific, smooth great control and lots of really good features. I have used quite a few routers but this is easily the best. It is a lot of money but for me, worth it.

Jim

i built a cheap router table a few weeks back using a triton mof001. it's simple, supports 1/4, 8mm and 1/2 size bits. The triton mof001 and the tra001 are designed to be mounted under a table and come with a handle thingy that allows you to adjust the height from above the table which is very handy. No fancy lift mechanism is needed because the routers got a mechanism built in. Is it as good as a jessom - nope, but its still pretty good Ive found so far.

The price (roughly):
£170 for router (comes with 1/4 and 8mm collets)
£30 for nvr
£10 for track
£50 for router plate
£20 for a 1/2 collet

a link to some photos: My first proper router table

I didn’t realise that the triton MOf could take the 1/2” collet as it’s sold as 1/4” and 8mm? However I like what you built so fingers crossed my will end up something similar. For the extract where did you get the adaptor on the back of your fence, I have bought everything else but couldn’t find the part sold on it’s own.

I didn’t realise that the triton MOf could take the 1/2” collet as it’s sold as 1/4” and 8mm? However I like what you built so fingers crossed my will end up something similar. For the extract where did you get the adaptor on the back of your fence, I have bought everything else but couldn’t find the part sold on it’s own.

note: from my understanding the american mof001s come with a 1/4 and 1/2, but the uk ones 1/4 and 8mm, so when reading reviews keep that in mind. here is the exact one i got: https://ffx.co.uk/product/Get/Triton-721116-5024763128561-Router-Collet-1-2In-Trc120-1-2In-Collet

The back of the fence, i used one of these:
https://www.rockler.com/rockler-drill-press-fencebut I replaced the front with ply. its about 60cm long

I got it from yandles for £20 (which was a steal) when they were doing a black friday sale, but they appear to now sell for £60-70ish

its handy, but not necessary, you can make a fence yourself out of ply, t-tracks and either a home made stop or one from banggood/aliexpress. theres a ton of youtube videos thatll give inspiration on the different types

I have the (sorry in advance) Xact router and lift from Rutland. I added a Musclechuck, and modified the motor to remote the speed control pot (my background is electronic engineering), both to avoid grovelling around under the table. I’d bought the kit before I became aware of Peter Sefton’s company, and possibly before the remote-control motor was available.

It works pretty well for me, though it is necessary to clean the lift leadscrew from time to time. Next mod is to add a stepper motor to drive the height contro.

The Musclechuck is brilliant - saves all that faffing with spanners. I only wish they’d make a 1/4in version for my Makita palm router.

Similar to @southendwoodworker I built this to support a Triton TRA001. I spent a bit more money on an Incra plate (built for the Triton) plus template and tracks from Woodworkers Workshop. The Triton raiser works really well.

IMG_20201226_155140.jpg

I see the Triton MOf001 is rated at 1400w. I reckon that's about the minimum size for serious table use, and the OPs table certainly looks like it is intended for serious work. For me, I regard a 1/2" collet as vital, I hate 1/4" bits, they simply don't have the rigidity for a decent cut if put under any significant stress. Router tables are about accuracy and productivity which means hard work so 1/2 cutters are worth every penny extra that they cost.

Jim

Back