Router table with built in motor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sensiblejohn

Reaction score
Morning

Has anybody tried the router tables that have a built in motor and height adjuster (Rutlands do one, or Scheppach HF50).

I know they won't be as good as a good home made table, or table with a cast iron bed, but to get something that I can use from day one would be very convenient!

Cheers, John

Not used one and I'm sure someone will be along shortly to give some input but these to me look like a compromise. I would have thought a smaller compact router table would be a better solution. I think people are mostly drawn to these because of the elevation of the cutter and it being a cheaper option to router lifts but I suspect it ends up being just that, a cheap er option. Just my opinion.

Its always about what you want to do with it.
Small or model making jobs will be fine on a small table. If you want to run 6 ft planks across it, youre going to struggle.

Yes, I have used something similar and if I wanted a “no effort” routing table and money was not an object it’d be a good option. However the price is such that a small spindle moulder is almost within reach, especially a second hand one. If you can afford a bells and whistles router table can you stretch to a spindle? I don’t think you’d regret it if you did.

I used a home made router table for years made from two small sheets of MDF glued together, an an old spindle moulder fence and an insert plate. Although I’d have loved a dedicated table with all the trimmings I never needed it – and there was always more yew, or cherry to buy instead 😊

I've got the Rutlands cheapie one. I bought it when I started up my workshop 3 years ago because it was on special offer (nearly half of what it is now) and thought it would do me until I could build my own.

The table is not brilliant so I've clamped on a bit of oversized melamine faced plywood which works very well. I remember someone else on here saying they upgraded the fence with a UKJ one.

For what I've needed it has done a brilliant job, grooving for panels, rounding over etc. It's not a Rolls Royce but does the job. Not sure when I'll get round to building my own

HTH

I looked at and wasn't impressed - ended up building my own with plywood, some T-track, an insert plate from Banggood and my old cheapie Energer router (I also have Bosch machine) - had to drill the base plate of the router and cut away part of the dust extraction hood - BUT it works just fine for me. The whole unit lives under a bench and has to be lifted onto the bench top and clamped in position for use - it has its own cable, through a switch built into the table, to connect to the power.

The one PITA is setting the cutter height - the trick is to roll the whole table over on its back to get at the router to set the height and lock it in position, then put the table back on its feet!

Look for the review of the Lumberjack 1500RT I have one and for what it does it's brilliant, obviously at the bottom end of the market you can't expect miracles, but with a built in multi speed motor all adjustable from above the table, NVR switch, you can't get anything else anywhere near the price to compare, I also have a full UJK table with router lift and musclechuck and to be honest it's just a bigger table.

Even cheaper: https://www.amazon.co.uk/F60-100A-R...1BKWDJETAXB&psc=1&refRID=S6S0FZ09B1BKWDJETAXB just a rebranded Lumberjack or the Rutland offer.

If you add together all the things on the table, like the router, lift, NVR switch and feather boards, you soon realise what value for money they are compared to building one or any of the others on the market, what it does do, is give you a good grounding into what you may require in the future if you suddenly get a larger workshop.

When I see stuff that cheap I always wonder about how good it can possibly be. That can't have more than, what, £30 of manufacturing cost in it. The entire thing costs little more than a big brand 1/4 inch handheld router.

Maybe I'm just an old cynic and it's really accurate, safe, and fantastic value for money. What is good about it is that you don't stand to lose too much if it's no good. And if it's great you've got the bargain of the year.

Oddbod70 you old cynic :ROFLMAO: they are much better than the price would suggest, I'v been running picture frame mouldings in Oak (75 x 50) in my version including a 20mm rebate without too much trouble, obviously all done in a few pass's, but it accurate enough, especially with the modified fence I put on it.

Oddbod70 you old cynic :ROFLMAO: they are much better than the price would suggest, I'v been running picture frame mouldings in Oak (75 x 50) in my version including a 20mm rebate without too much trouble, obviously all done in a few pass's, but it accurate enough, especially with the modified fence I put on it.
LOL! I wasn't being cynical - honest :) I got my Dewalt before the Triton was out and I remember thinking "Darn, why wasn't the Triton around earlier!". I could very easily have brought one if it had been. I certainly wouldn't try to put anyone off.

Before I had the spindle I used the Dewalt in a homemade table and while there were loads of times when I wished not to be scrabbling around on the floor trying to change a cutter, or tweak the height it never bothered me enough to change. As I said earlierthere was always that really nice bit of hardwood to buy for the next project that took priority!

But I'm really glad you have things well sorted. And yes, perhaps I am just a teeny bit jealous that your knees and back have probably suffered for their art less than mine!

LOL! I wasn't being cynical - honest :) I got my Dewalt before the Triton was out and I remember thinking "Darn, why wasn't the Triton around earlier!". I could very easily have brought one if it had been. I certainly wouldn't try to put anyone off.

Before I had the spindle I used the Dewalt in a homemade table and while there were loads of times when I wished not to be scrabbling around on the floor trying to change a cutter, or tweak the height it never bothered me enough to change. As I said earlierthere was always that really nice bit of hardwood to buy for the next project that took priority!

But I'm really glad you have things well sorted. And yes, perhaps I am just a teeny bit jealous that your knees and back have probably suffered for their art less than mine!
Ah, sorry MikeJhn, I was was comparing the Dewalt option to the triton option, not the Lumberjack. I'm still glad the lumberjack option works for you - I really am - but you are definitely braver than me!

No need for the apology, I did not take a fence (pun) I also have a UJK professional set up with lift etc so am a bit spoilt, except its in my workshop in France and have not been able to get there this year. :eek:

have the largest table, cheapo portable Alloy router bench u can buy....about €100.....comes with a NVR switch......
but I have a dedicated 3HP Hitachi router in it perm.....I do what "robgul" does and roll it over to adjust the hight but have plans for my own hight adjuster, just no time at preseant.....I would be lost without it......
it also lives under the bench and gets moved about in the van for other jobs.....
I also have a Kitty 429 spindle for working away plus a 5hp monster.....u can never have enough kit....hahaha....

generally if it's all you can afford why not......life is not a race.......

I recently bought the Fox version of this from Oriton tools for £145 delivered. I haven't used it much yet but it's a huge improvement on sticking the router through a piece of mdf and hanging it in a workmate with a piece of batten for a fence.
The only thing I've noticed so far is it could do with a lock on the height adjustment.

If its the same as the other clones, the lock for the height adjustment is under the table and is a push lever, have a look its there.

Thanks for the pointer Mike, turns out the Fox model has a locking collar on the height adjustment after all.
I went back and re-read the manual (not just skimming the pics, honest) and there's no mention of a height adjustment lock anywhere.

For the benefit of anyone else who buys a Fox F60-100a reach under the machine and feel along the height adjuster rod and there's a plastic nut that you turn clockwise to lock the adjuster.

No need for the apology, I did not take a fence (pun) I also have a UJK professional set up with lift etc so am a bit spoilt, except its in my workshop in France and have not been able to get there this year. :eek:
Mike, genuine question. You have both the lumberjack and the ujk, which puts you in a better position to comment on the price/quality equation than most of us. Can you give us some insights? Will the lumberjack really do what the ukj will. Or is there a point when the ukj pulls ahead.

and sorry youve not got to la belle France This year. This Covid is a real PITA. i really hope We “fix” it for 2021.

Its a bit difficult to quantify, the UJK has a 2000watt router in it so more powerful and able to make deeper cuts, permenatley set up so easier to just stand at and go, heavier so does not move when pushing material through, with the lower extraction box and fence I hardly get any sawdust in the atmosphere, but that is connected to a 2000m3 extractor, now I am really struggling to find plus points, can't compare the top, but I think most make to much out of the feeler gauge under a straight edge conundrum, if you have anything specific you want to know please ask.

In case you did not see this, I fitted my lumberjack version with an Axminster compact router table fence: UJK Compact Router Table Fence the standard fence is a real pain.

Latest posts

Back