Router table top idea

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Froglet,

I got the Ultra Jig 24" complete system package.

I should have found out the exact measurements first though because it is huge!

From the front of the fence to the back of the 'adjuster arm' is actually over 35", so you need a lot of clearance.

I think that there is a 16" version and if I am honest that would have suited me just fine.

Incidentally, there are good savings on Incra jigs (and Woodrats) at Rutlands at the moment. (Sale has been extended to 16th Jan).

Howard

Alf wrote
Sorry to partially hijack your thread, Howard :oops:

No problem. To my mind, these sorts of discussions only help (that is it has helped me to get really confused :) )

Howard

alf it seems to be working you dont say to much about the rat and half of them are starting to slide on the grease .uk workshop today tomorrow the world :wink: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Hermes":4m1p8fsd said:
Froglet,

I got the Ultra Jig 24" complete system package.

I should have found out the exact measurements first though because it is huge!

From the front of the fence to the back of the 'adjuster arm' is actually over 35", so you need a lot of clearance.

I think that there is a 16" version and if I am honest that would have suited me just fine.

Hermes

I was surprised too at the 35" and had tried to buy the 16" but could only get the '24"'. I simply hacksawed the last 8" off square as it will probably never get used unless I double the size of my router table and buy an aircraft hanger to use it in :)

However, the design of the ali extrusion is such that one can easily place 4 metal dowels between the cut off piece and the main section (4 circular channels in it) to temporarily 'rejoin' them very strongly should the need arise

Highly recommended strategy :wink:

The size of the incra fence systems is an issue for me too (one of the advantages of the Woodrat being that it doesn't appear to take much space) but it had never occurred to me to simply hacksaw some of the carriage off :shock: - I'm not sure I would have the courage. Someone in another thread suggested a fold down rear table to attach the fence to and I might try that instead.

Tilgear appear to stock the shorter length carriages, at least they quoted me a price for a 17" LS system before christmas. Does anyone here use the LS system as opposed to the Ultra? Does it have any advantages?

Graeme

froglet":1vc6gq98 said:
Does anyone here use the LS system as opposed to the Ultra? Does it have any advantages?

Graeme

Don't use the LS but if I was designing a fence similar to the Incra, then I would have used a lead screw (LS). However, the rack system works amazingly well :lol:

Back