Router table safety jig sled type thing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sawdust=manglitter

Established Member
Reaction score
Don’t know why I’ve never made something like this sooner. I’ve always shied away from routing anything I think is too small or awkward to hold safely on the router table, but I have these fairly small legs to rout to a template so I had to do it on the router table. Anyway, using only scraps I have lying around in the workshop I made this sled type thing which enables me to securely hold smaller items with my hands safely far away from any spinning router bit, so it is absolutely perfect for template trimming.

There are loads of improvements that could be made to it, but I wanted to make something useable tonight so used what I had to hand. I have some polycarbonate left over from making the lid to my vacuum chamber, so that was ideal as it’s see-through, strong, and can be tapped fairly well. Couldn’t find anything more suitable to use for clamping, so for now I used some M6 t-track bolts which (although mark the top of the template) worked fairly well. The rest is scrap wood and ply I had lying around, oh and some 16mm dowels I had spare.

I would like to find something more suitable than the t-track bolts for the clamping. Any ideas or suggestions would be gravely appreciated :D

c54599bdd80582e63b89b44ae8c1d66a.jpg

d0ee36dc6e9a2c427348f641051a6974.jpg

21e3c77186b69358c8e22a9022e88aa4.jpg

0ef80873191f6e0bf309bab79bb25db2.jpg

Nice bit of kit there, useful and safe!

Not had to do an awful lot of dangerous work like that so far so my method of sticking the item to a larger block with hot glue has covered me so far. Not the most convenient trick though.

Nice little jig there :)

You could use ‘adjustable feet’, with the black plastic cone shaped base, some allow the base to swivel which would work particularly well.

Simon89":1qygahcu said:

You could use ‘adjustable feet’, with the black plastic cone shaped base, some allow the base to swivel which would work particularly well.

Great idea!! That could be a very feasible option.

As an aside, what would you call the swiveling bit at the end of a clamp? I've searched a variety of word combinations but couldnt find any on google

Sawdust=manglitter":26e4ybop said:
I would like to find something more suitable than the t-track bolts for the clamping. Any ideas or suggestions would be gravely appreciated :D
That is a useful looking jig.
As for clamping. When I was in industry we used quite a lot of these:-
http://www.wdsltd.co.uk/categories/86/toggle-clamps-latches/
I am not suggesting this source particlularly, but you will see the range of options available.
HTH xy.

Sawdust=manglitter":1ettfai8 said:
Simon89":1ettfai8 said:

Great idea!! That could be a very feasible option.

As an aside, what would you call the swiveling bit at the end of a clamp? I've searched a variety of word combinations but couldnt find any on google

Maaaaybe, somerthing related to this: https://www.rosscastors.co.uk/m8-x-25-t ... -base.html

Thank you for this.

Am going to pin a sketch up in the workshop ready for when I need it, which may not be long.

Back