Router table question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Echo-Star

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All

I've recently purchased a new router table from Rutlands, an up-grade from the B&D one that my father had. Anyway the question is mounting the router to the zero clearance aluminium base plate. I have #3 routers that I could use, though none of them will mount without drilling through the base plate. I purchased the Makita RP2301FC that I intended to use as the 1/2" gives you more tooling options. though in hindsight It may have been the wrong choice for this purpose. I have the DW 1/4" combo plunge/fixed base and the 1/4" bosch POF1400. Should I drill and mount the Makita or look for a universal mounting plate that I could then maybe swap the routers around if required ?

Any input would be appreciated,

Thank you

Personally I wouldn't bother with anything less than 1/2" in a router table. What's the point drilling to attach a small router that's just too restrictive.

Having said that I managed for years with a 1/4" Elu 96 in a titchy router table and produced an awful lot of furniture that I'm still proud of. But that was thirty or forty years ago, the world's moved on and today you really should aim for 1/2" and a motor with some decent grunt.

Thanks for your input Custard, my thoughts exactly on the power. I will go with the Makita, I don't see any issues drilling and mounting It, as I just need to get longer bolts.

Cheers

Makita for me. I have the same one and really like the power and the above table adjustment with it (the long machine screw).

As suggested, you would likely wish for the most powerful and 1/2 inch machine to be in the table. Theres's nothing to stop you from drilling additional holes if you change your mind. Properly drilled holes will not effect the functionality of the plate. Alternatively, buy a second plate - I would guess the Rutlands plate is a standard size?

Back