Router table problems.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calv

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok it's my own stupid fault, but i didn't check the size of my Titan router before buying a cheap and cheerful Nutool router table.

As a result, the router base is fractionaly bigger than the recess that the router sits in under the table. :roll: Really annoyed as i'm totaly new to routing and was really looking forwards to getting some practice in today.

Anyway, due to the router base being bigger, the base slightly sits on top of the recess lip rather than down inside it if that makes sense. Therefore the clamps don't seem to be tightening properly.

So my question is.......is it possible for me to still use the table somehow, maybe with a bit of modification such as putting wooden blocks under the clamps to make then sit flush?

Other option, i try and use the table as a rough guide to making a basic router table out of MDF. Call me a total silly person but i cannot get my head round any of the router table plans i've seen so far, they are all too complicated for me. Remember i'm very new to all this. :( (Unless anyone has foolproof easy plans? )

Or do i postpone my routing for a few weeks whilst i sell this one and get one that fits? I bought this as i'm on a budget, i can't afford tables at £100 plus.

Sorry for the ramble on, i was so looking forwards to this coming and am well hacked off now.

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

Calv.

Calv
A really basic router table: get a cheap workmate type thingy. Screw your inverted router to a piece of 3/4" MDF. Screw into the workmate top. Make a simple fence and you're away. Remember to rout from right to left against the rotation of the cutter. And make some featherboards.
A basic stand is very easy to make and a good next step. And it's good practice for making mortice and tenons plus no one's going to see how they turn out! You could try making the tenons on the makeshift router table :).
Cheers
Gidon

waterhead37":2o0u816q said:
What's the table made of? Can you emlarge the recess?

Unfortunately its metal, i think the only enlargement you could do would be hacking the metal lip off altogether. Then there would'nt be a recess at all. I guess that could work but i might save it for a smaller router base.

Cheers for that idea Gidon, might give that a go later. Even i could make that! :D :oops:

Calv.

Back