Router table pocket problem

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lorenzl

Established Member
Reaction score
I am new to woodworking and have router table. I want to cut out a rectangular pocket through some hardwood with another rectangular pocket half way through a bit larger to fit a cover.

I first tried on the router table by drilling an 80mm hole, fitting a stop on each side of the cutter and feeding the wood into the cutter and moving it to the next stop.

As expected in one direction the wood was snatched but in the other the wood was pushed away from the fence creating cuts into my nice straight edge.

I tided it up with a chisel making the pocket for cover a bit neater, the through pocket will not be seen so it is not so important.

I would like some advice before trying different ideas and I have had a good search on the web and can’t find an answer.

Is it possible on a router table?

Ideas

Should I make a template and use a trim cutter for the through hole although this will not work on the cover hole. Not using the router fence.

Make a large holder for the wood which is 130mm square 15mm thick. I would then be able to control it better

Use a hand router and make a jig for that. I currently only have a small ¼” router.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

I cut the 5mm deep cover cut out first with a 16mm straight shank two flute cutter. The cut out was 92mm square and I had an 80mm hole through before I started.
The other 10mm of the 15mm thickness I cut with a scroll saw as I had so many problems with the first cut.

Cutter to big ?

The way I have done it (not on router table) was to use a top bearing guided cutter with a jig, firstly I cut half way through to form what will be the lip. Then I reduced the size of the jig with some strips the size of the lip, then cut the centre out in several passes.

Difficult on the router table. I’d approach it by making a template and using the router alone, with guide bushes. Cut the through hole first with a large (say 30mm) guide bush, then the rebate with the same-size cutter and a smaller bush (in the example, a 20mm bush here will give a 5mm rebate).

Thank you all for the advice and a "hand" router is looking like the way to go.

Adding strips looks like an interesting idea @GrahamF Out of interest I had some relatives in Holsworthy and spent a few holidays there.

I thought I must be able to do it on the router table and have had another go. Instead of going at it like a bull in a china shop I did the step in 2mm passes with an 8mm cutter round the outside and the 4mm steps at full depth to get the width. I didn't cut the 80mm hole either and took the step out to the centre. I should now be able to cut the centre out with the same method.

Back