Router Table Help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gc

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I picked up a cheap Nutool router and table of ebay the other day (brand new not taken out packaging etc) for use on my next projext as it would help speed things up. I dont do alot of routing so didnt want to spend much on it so thought this would be ideal even though i thought it may not be up to much. I built it up last night and was pleasantly suprised, it was sturdy and seemed nicely put together.

Now i put the router in and conected it to the No Volt switch and powered it on to try it only to find it didnt do anything so i tried router itself and it worked, connected back to No Volt Switch and switched on and pressed switch on router and it works. The switch on the router needs to be held when routing so i dont understand how this is suposed to work in a table as i cant hold the switch and route at the same time. Am i missing something, there was nothing in the documents that came with it?

My initial thought was to try putting a tie-rap round the switch so its always on and then connecting to the NVR so it can be controlled from there.
Any help would be great?

gc":3qixefjm said:
..... My initial thought was to try putting a tie-rap round the switch so its always on and then connecting to the NVR so it can be controlled from there.

That is what most people do ...

I use one of those black and orange spring clamps...the type you can get for 10 for a pound (or so it seems!) :mrgreen:

When you want to use the router by hand...take the clip off.

Simples!

Jim

Very good Jim, i was going to put tie-raps on tonight but i have some wee clamps that i will try instead as easier to take off.

It's a common problem and a daft solution to a safety problem that isn't even there. It forces people to do tricks like this to make the router work.
So what you are now doing is standard practice, even though a proper switch would be a much better option.
Cheers
Steve

At first when i looked at it i thought i must be doing something wrong as theres no way you can safely operate like that and why on earth would they sell a router with a router table that has a switch like that seems a but stupid IMO

My DW625 has a on/off switch which I keep switched on in the table.
This in turn is connected to an internal 3 pin socket with standard on/off switch. But this is fed from an external NVR which really controls the router operation. However when changing cutters I always unplug the internal cable.

Rod

Thats how i thought it would have been until i found out it doesnt have an on/off switch on the router which i useless as it was supplied to be used with the table. At least it can be worked around.

gc":1rdkn5wy said:
At first when i looked at it i thought i must be doing something wrong as theres no way you can safely operate like that and why on earth would they sell a router with a router table that has a switch like that seems a but stupid IMO

I've always thought how well the Triton MOF 001 has been thought through for both hand and table operation.

The on/off switch has a sprung slide which must be pushed back to switch to the on position and it slides back when you switch off.

The shaft is self locking in the extended plunged position for one spanner bit changing - but this position can only be reached when the router is switched off with the protection slide covering it.

Additional the bit height can be controlled in the table from above with a winder handle.

I fully understand that serious injury can result from a router inadvertently firing up when you are not expecting it but the push-on switch is one of the most ridiculous solutions.

There are many ways to achieve safety as Roger points out but the "shed" Chinese versions do not seem to be adopting other solutions.

To actually make one that comes with the table without a means of keeping it on is ludicrous. :roll:

Jim

I had a router table and router set. It came with a Velcro
strip to go around the router trigger.
I think the assumption is, it will be used as a normal router
as well as as attached to the table.
Willy.

Back