Router Table Height Adjuster

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I have a Trend T9 and a PowerPro router table, not a bad combination all things considered. However, winding the router up and down is a bit of a pain so I'm wondering if there is some sort of mechanism I can buy which makes raising/lowering the router more convenient for a router table?

I've got the Trend T9 height adjuster but perhaps there is an easier way of raising/lowering that I haven't come across?

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Welcome to the forum.

If you want a quick rise and fall but at the loss of the fine adjustment, them look for some Plungebars. Trend do some for the T9, in the 2003 catalogue they are listed at £24.95 +vat.

Hmm, hadn't thought of plungebars and it's got me thinking. Maybe I could arrange some sort of screw assembly which would make fine adjustment of a plungebar possible?

The "problem" with the current height control on the router is that it is right under the router and is tiresome to use. Now if I could move that height adjuster out to the front of the router table it might make things easier.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Andrew

Hehe - the thought of a scissor jack.

Not enough room under the router table presently. The T9 takes up most of the height under the table, which is mounted on a flat surface.

Maybe I can expand on that idea though - what I need is a tough balloon, then I can pump the router up/down using a bike pump.

Thanks for all the ideas guys. Looks like I've stumbled into a useful forum arrangement!

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

I would recommend the RouterRaizer without hesitation.
It is the most user friendly router adjuster on the market.
Once it is fitted to your machine it stays onboard giving you fine adjustment through the base and from above so you don't have to get below the table to adjust it, and you can still use it hand held.
Unlike the UniLift and the Routalift you don't lose any additional plunge capacity as it still fits directly to the router plate supplied with your table, all you do is drill a hole through it to gain access to the winding point.
If you couple this up with the Xtreme Xtension which gives you additional shank length :shock: and also the quickest bit changeover possible, you have a piece of killer kit at your disposal. THe XtremeXtension is for table use only though.
Neither of these are cheap, when I reviewed the RouterRaizer it was £69.95 (Good Woodworking issue 134) and the Xtreme Xtension was £55.95. (GW 146)
OK, outside the budget of a lot of woodworkers, but if you rout regularly at the table and swap bits intensively, believe me, these two are the best thing since real bread. (I don't like sliced)
both these items are available from the Woodworkers Workshop 0845 165 9244

cheers,

Andy

Welcome to the forum, Andrew.

I use a Woodrat plungebar on the rare occasions the router table gets used, and it's very simple to do the main coarse adjustment with it, and then the fine height adjuster on the router to tweak to the right height. Not that I'm saying a RouterRaizer wouldn't be nice to have, but if you can't get it past SWMBO... :wink:

Cheers, Alf

The Router Raizer looks like a very well thought out bit of kit, and looking at the high res pictures of it on their website installed on routers, I'd say it's reasonably priced given the machining involved.

Without knowing about the Raizer, I had long ago made a somewhat cruder version of it for my M12V on my router table. It consists of replacing the standard (short) M8 threaded bar with a longer length of M8 studding, a length of tube over the studding to bear onto the lug of the router body, and an M8 handwheel, (plus a washer either end of the tube to take the thrust). The handwheel then clears the motor housing for easy access. Maybe a tenner or less for the bits if you have to buy them (I scrounged some odds and ends for nothing). No machining required, just a hacksaw and a file, and no permanent mod to the router.

No, you can't adjust the router from above the table but access is real easy from below. It's crude but effective. Although the Raizer allows for normal plunge action, if your router is dedicated to the table as mine is, then it's hardly a useful feature.

If I knew how to, I could post a picture of my setup for anyone with, or considering buying an M12V, who may be interested.

Ike

Latest posts

Back