Router Table fixings

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waka

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all

I've got a spare (old) router table that I want to bring back into service. The existing top is a lot to be desired and the router is secure by treaded bolts from ther top into the router body (not a good system).

The refurbishment will involve making a new table top, I guess the dreaded MDF will surfice for this. The question is what type of router fittings do you all recommend.

My main table is veritas which I find supurb, fixing are good and solid and easy for release when changing bits. Unfortunately I'm not sure you can just buy the fixings on their own.

Your experienced council would ne appreciated.

Waka

Waka...
The set up I use involves suspending the router from a Trend insert plate, the router being secured to the plate via 3 off M6 countersunk screws. You need to drill the insert plate to suit your own router, but that's simply a matter of copying the hole centres from the router sub base. 2 years on, I've het to have a prob with the set up; strong, cheap and cheerfull.

Midnight":29y1xmuj said:
Waka...
The set up I use involves suspending the router from a Trend insert plate....

I've go the APT resin plate set up in this way and have noticed the plate sags in the centre under the weight of the router - bosch 1300 - by about a millimeter or so. not much but enough to throw the joints out. Job for this weekend it to reinforce it....just a watchout for if you've a heavy router:)

I have recently bought my first router, and made a table for it. Height adjustment is with a car scissor jack underneath, which solves any problems with a flexing plate. The weight of the router is continually supported from underneath. I haven't (like some who've posted here and elsewhere) removed the plunge springs from my router. The reason is that I'm too scared to try taking it apart, plus it seems unnecessary.

Any comments on this from you guys with loads of experience in this area?

Regards, John (with a yellow stripe down his back!)

Mine is similar to John's set up, whereby I have a car bottle jack - as the vertical travel adjustment - underneath the router. I have made my own fixing plate from 2mm stainless steel plate , (kindly donated from work - they just don't know it yet!! :wink: ), and the fixing holes drilled and countersunk to suit the router baseplate.
Then simply router and sink the top surface of your table to suit your plate so that it sits flush, and fit with c/sk bolts/screws.Oh, and don't forget to drill the hole for yer bits to stick out !! :oops:

This seems to work well enough so far, but I too need a new top surface as my current one seems to be twisted slightly.
Yet another renovation project then!!

I'm still using my 2 ton trolley jack under my Axminster 1/2". Works a treat :wink:

Hi Waka
I used MDF for my table top works fine for me, I got my fence with dust extraction from Axminster, works great.

All

Thanks for your comments/advise its been helpful.

KC. regarding taking the springs out, I wouldn't recommend this, its not from a safety angle, because you are using it in a table. But should the occassion arise when you want to do some hand routing with it them you 'll have to re-spring it.

I have to admit with the veritas being the main table I don't need to use a jacking system for the router, becasue you can adjust that each time before you place it back in the table and then just use fine adjustment.

I guess with the spare table I am trying to get away from the system of screwing the router base to the underside of the table. Is there anyone else out there that does similar quick release clamps like the veritas.

ragarding all the parafunaliar that goes with a table system I have all that and would intend to just swap over from one table to the other, aganin the veritas system allows you to do this very quickly.

You may be thinking why not go buy another veritas table top with clamps. have thought of that, its doable but is my wallet. It would make sence but I'm really after a cheaper option. Its only occassionally that I set up both tables with differant jigs for the same piece of wood.

Just seems a shame to leave a table unused in the corner of the workshop.

I guess (should I win the lottery) if I do go down the route of another veritas table top, does anyone know retailers that deal with these in the UK?

Tahnks again for your help

Waka

Latest posts

Back