Router Table Fences - Incra vs Jessem vs?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a router table and router table fence I recently built.

This is a very full-on set up. What is relevant is that it did not cost much (don't include the cost of the JessEm guides, which are excellent but a little luxury). It is difficult to total, as some parts, such as the aluminium insert plate, was purchased about 3 years ago, as was the Router Raizer lift, and the MuscleChuck router bit change.

The base for the router table was a laminated high pressure MDF kitchen bench off cut from a kitchen maker ...

F9.jpg

This was build into the out feed of my Hammer K3 sliding table saw ...

RTF1a.jpg

RTF2a.jpg

These aluminium plates are excellent. After 3 years of hanging the heavy Elu 177e (predecessor of the DeWalt DW625) , there is no signs of any dipping. The surface remains flat, flat.

The Elu below, minus handles, with Router Raizer attached ...

3.jpg

The dust collection consists of below table collection from the router bit ...

4.jpg

... and then via the fence using the Festool Router Table hose system, and into a Festool CT 26E.

Above the plate, the MuscleChuck allows for changing bits and easy bit-holding. I built a handle for the Router Raizer from a cut-down socket wrench. This enable fast spinning as well as fine adjustments with the fence close by.

RTF5a.jpg

The heart of the fence is made for 8020 extruded aluminium (80mm high and 20mm wide). I comes in 1m lengths, and this fence is 600mm long.

RTF6a.jpg

Note that the slots of this extrusion use different T-bits ...

RTF13-2a.jpg

The only other part I bought in were the sub-fences, since these are phenolic-coated, and the dust port.

RTF7a.jpg

The subfences. Also note that the dust collection port in the mainfence was made with a 2 1/4" hole saw ...

RTF12a.jpg

The Jessem guides, and the bit guard I made ...

RTF8a.jpg

RTF9a.jpg

Made in two sections and superglued together ...

RTF10a.jpg

The rear of the fence, with the dust port, and sub-fence adjusters ...

RTF11a.jpg

The reason for bolting on the dust port was not simply to make it possible to remove, but this enabled the T-track to be plugged ...

RTF13-1a.jpg

I built UHMW fence brackets, then replaced them with a set from Banggood ...

2.jpg

There is adjustment built into the brackets to ensure that the working side of the fence is square to the table ...

RTF14a.jpg

I have yet to add the micro-adjuster. This will attach with a switchable magnet ...

1.jpg

Frankly, the tap-tap of a mallet or hand works just as well.

Regards from Perth

Derek

@Peter Sefton

It would ideally be the Jessem mast-r-lift iii. If I can find a way to easily fit it to some standard track, then that would be great. The track I currently have is the UJK combined mitre slot and t track, but it’s not routed in yet...

It seems that the easiest option would be to install standard t track bolts if the thread would work with the Jessem handles...

Any advice gratefully received.

Do you have a drawing and the dimensions on the UJK track?

Righto folks.... I'm committed!!

Have no choice re Incra anyway at the moment but the more I looked at it I realised that I loved the LS positioner idea but not necessarily the actual fence - I preferred the Jessem Fence, if nothing else just for its simplicity!.. So 1 x Jessem Mast - R - III fence ordered plus a few other bits... Dependant upon what projects I see next year I may still get myself an LS25 and mod it onto this fence - it sure looks handy (y)

Next I need to decide on my plate to which I have a couple options - For clarity I shall start another thread. Then I shall build / fudge / execute my own table for it...

Thanks again for all your input.

Oh, and thanks Derek Cohen (Perth Oz) for your pics - I had read your thread also!..

This is what the fence end of the metric version of the LS-25 looks like. As long as the fence you want to use has mounting points that align with the slots in the bracket, you will be fine. The mounting hardware for the fence is not included, but the mounting hardware for the positioner to your table is included.

SC2C-Positioner-14-M.jpg

This is what the fence end of the metric version of the LS-25 looks like. As long as the fence you want to use has mounting points that align with the slots in the bracket, you will be fine. The mounting hardware for the fence is not included, but the mounting hardware for the positioner to your table is included.

SC2C-Positioner-14-M.jpg

Yes, it all looks doable! I think a few folk have designed a bracket to work - think I read a thread on FOG somewhere, he designed it in CAD then got it CNC'd...

Yes, it all looks doable! I think a few folk have designed a bracket to work - think I read a thread on FOG somewhere, he designed it in CAD then got it CNC'd...

Hi @stimpy,

I think this is a thread on FOG you are looking for

https://www.festoolownersgroup.com/other-tools-accessories/jessem-ta-fence/#lastPost
I'm going in the same direction as you and ordered LS and TA fence.... happy days. Let us know your progress; I'll keep you posted with mine, albeit I have to wait till March'21 for the LS to be in stock in Peter S shop...

@Derek Cohen (Perth Oz) that's a great fence, I might have to borrow that for mine. I also like the idea of putting the fence between two dog holes so you can drop it in. My bench design means the track would be further away from the router but I can't see that being a particular problem. perhaps making it easier to make minor adjustments. I'm off to redo my design!

Thanks for the tips, Peter. Would it be possible to buy t track or mitre track bolts that would fit in to the handles on the fences? Most jig kits come with t track and mitre bolts - are the fence bolts M6 or M8 (or an imperial version that I might be able to get elsewhere?

Otherwise, I think grinding the bolts down might be the solution...

Hi Paul

The JessEm "High Boy Knobs" for holding down the fence are quite substantial with a large threaded connection plate, these will not fit any of the standard tracks including the one you already have. I have worked out a solution to hold the fence down within your table top which is neat and strong. If you would like to go ahead and buy the JessEm Mast-R-Fence III off us send me an email and I will pass it onto the sales team to sort out for you and to go through the details to ensure it works for you.

[email protected]

Cheers Peter

Hi @stimpy,

I think this is a thread on FOG you are looking for

https://www.festoolownersgroup.com/other-tools-accessories/jessem-ta-fence/#lastPost
I'm going in the same direction as you and ordered LS and TA fence.... happy days. Let us know your progress; I'll keep you posted with mine, albeit I have to wait till March'21 for the LS to be in stock in Peter S shop...

Thanks Martin, that's the one I'd read. As to the LS, same boat as you mate, will do it on the runners and rule for now!!. ( Once I've built it of course)...

Peter, I only have pics of the previous table, but the method was the same.

Here is the old table ...

2a.jpg

My K3 came with a half-panel ...

router-space1.jpg

router-space2.jpg

The top ...

1a.jpg

... is secured at one side by bolts into inserts (there are convenient holes in the saw case) ...

2a.jpg

Facing the saw, add bolts as legs ...

4a.jpg

And the far side I used existing bolt holes to support an aluminium section ...

6a.jpg

7a.jpg

8a.jpg

9-1a.jpg

Current:

IMG_6225.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

Peter, this is the Hammer rip fence ...

FenceA.jpg

FenceB.jpg

The fence is a challenge to add accessories, such as the JessE,, so I fitted this to the profile ...

Fencec.jpg

Made from US Hard Maple and sprayed black.

It can be removed as it slides in the T- track.

FenceD.jpg

Y1a.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

Nice solution. I was thinking a cnc’d lump of Delrin would slide nice too.

But then wood is generally more accessible and probably lighter 👍

Hi @stimpy ,

Any progress on you decision making?

I've got my TA fence, and it is a beauty! Thanks @Peter Sefton for getting to me so promptly!

I'll post my use review later - well, after I finish floor & windows on my workshop, and build a table for it.... :confused:

Stay well,

Martin
Hello Martin,

Yes, I did make the purchase!. But only just building the table now as time seemed to slip a little!!... Built your table yet?..

Hello Martin,

Yes, I did make the purchase!. But only just building the table now as time seemed to slip a little!!... Built your table yet?..

Hi Stimpy,

I didn't build my table yet - need to finish windows on the shed first!!! I didn't have really almost any time to think about the table design either, so any details of your table would be welcomed :)...

Al the best,

Martin

Hi Stimpy,

I didn't build my table yet - need to finish windows on the shed first!!! I didn't have really almost any time to think about the table design either, so any details of your table would be welcomed :)...

Al the best,

Martin

Well I had a bit of an idea.... But was caught between a few ideologies.. Then kind of ended up free styling it a bit so it's design is flawed in some manners - and not finished yet!

I need to cut a few rebates / dados? hehe in a couple of the bits then glue up, then rebate for the t track on the top. For now I have just made a supported table top which I will be simply clamping from the underside to a site workbench / trestles for now but set at the same height as my mft. In the future If I get more space then I will either build an under cupboard/unit or rebuild it in a workbench with a different design. ( For now I'm working in my garage loft space and outside with the heavier larger tools)

Annoyingly also when I rushed to the timber yard just before Christmas they were out of green mdf - a few local places had no stock indicated till late January! So I ended up purchasing a generic hardwood ply... For this and some storage I was building at home... Hey ho... All fun and games!

I'll post some pics when I've got to a decent stage which all being well should be this week sometime...

Oh, I assume you aren't building your windows else you'l need the table first!! Or did the chicken come before the egg?? Never quite worked that one out! :)

Back