Router Table Fences - Incra vs Jessem vs?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I have said to others considering the Incra system. If you want a router table to do joinery, dovetails, finger joints etc and repeat set ups then as long as you have the space (the equivalent of 3 router tables deep) the Incra is brilliant. It also does all the normal fence based stuff. If you do not want to do those things then a normal fence solution is sufficient. Although I note the Jessem is more than the Incra Wow! You pay for great quality though. Both are a long way from a hole in piece of ply 2 G clamps and a length of 4x2 hing off my workmate (my first router table).

@PAC1 Do you have the Incra System?.

My first project for the table will be making some casement windows, then some cupboards and other joinery type stuff in my head..

I have a festool dovetail jig - I assume once set up the Incra could make this task even quicker / easier?. But then any table "could" be made to do this dependant upon effort... Just if you buy the necessary bits it offers an easier solution?..

@stimpy, I have the Incra system in a mobile router table. My shop is too small to allow for fixed workstations, so my bandsaw, P/T, and router table are on locking castors that allow me to move them around as required.

This is the 17-inch LS fence on an Incra table. At the time I built this, all of my tools had to stay in the 20 square meter shop when not being used. Now I have access to another 20 square meters, so I can move them into the other area when not being used. If I were building this today, I would use the 25-inch LS and make the table longer.

Router_Table-12-L.jpg

As it is now, this router table works fine and I haven't had any problems running material through it. The largest items so far were 940x530mm panels that had a rabbet on both sides of four edges.

Item24-5-M.jpg

@MikeK Thank you for your pictures, I had read your build previously and enjoyed it. I can also see that for the very little extra cost the LS25 is probably the one to go with - or will cover more bases..

I also do not have a shop space as of such, I have a 2.5 bay garage I built which is set up more for mechanical motor vehicle type projects. I have a loft room above which is where most of my woodworking gear lives amongst plenty of other junk! I generally empty one of the bays downstairs or work outside when I am playing with wood - which mostly has been oak framing in recent years to be honest..

So I also benefit from movable units, I have an MFT and the usual array of other site trestles etc which I cobble together when needed... But I would like to set up in a better way, and the more joinery I do the more I enjoy it - just need more practice! All early days but certainly something I am looking forward to doing more of (y)

In terms of an LS system or infact the Jessem also, I would make it Fittable/removable to an MFT - or that would be my hope! I like your workbench build - the extruded aluminium makes for a great system IMO...

Last edited:
@MikeK Thank you for your pictures, I had read your build previously and enjoyed it. I can also see that for the very little extra cost the LS25 is probably the one to go with - or will cover more bases..

I also do not have a shop space as of such, I have a 2.5 bay garage I built which is set up more for mechanical motor vehicle type projects. I have a loft room above which is where most of my woodworking gear lives amongst plenty of other junk! I generally empty one of the bays downstairs or work outside when I am playing with wood - which mostly has been oak framing in recent years to be honest..

So I also benefit from movable units, I have an MFT and the usual array of other site trestles etc which I cobble together when needed... But I would like to set up in a better way, and the more joinery I do the more I enjoy it - just need more practice! All early days but certainly something I am looking forward to doing more of (y)

In terms of an LS system or infact the Jessem also, I would make it Fittable/removable to an MFT - or that would be my hope! I like your workbench build - the extruded aluminium makes for a great system IMO...

Thank you! I'm a few tasks away from completing my workbench. When finished, I'll create a project thread here that is similar to the thread on FOG.

If you want the removable LS system for an MFT-like table, I recommend something like the setup Dennis built. He has a small workshop in the Netherlands. His Ultimate Workbench includes a router and the Incra LS fence. Dennis uses something like 19mm Valchromat for his work surfaces, which is what I used for my workbench.

Ryan, from The Garage Journal and AtomicRyan on FOG, is also a good source of ideas for a multi-use garage. His FOG article and videos were the source of my workbench design.

@PAC1 Do you have the Incra System?.

My first project for the table will be making some casement windows, then some cupboards and other joinery type stuff in my head..

I have a festool dovetail jig - I assume once set up the Incra could make this task even quicker / easier?. But then any table "could" be made to do this dependant upon effort... Just if you buy the necessary bits it offers an easier solution?..
Yes I have the Incra system with an LS25 positioner and metric templates with a Mast R lift router plate.
The important point is that Incra have their own very unique system for cutting dovetails and finger joints there are plenty of videos on youtube demonstrating it. It is worth watching them before deciding which way to go. The system works very well and is accurate and once you get to grips with it is very fast. It uses the accuracy of the LS positioned and templates for each different dovetail or finger joint configuration to make a joint by moving the fence forwards and backwards following the instructions and the template. This process is fundamental and unique with the Incra system. The decision you need to make is would the Incra system be of value to you or do you just want a traditional router fence system.

@MikeK Yes, I have watched Dennis's video, and stumbled upon Ryan's the other day but not watched it all..

As I am stuck between the loft and below I think for now anything I build must come apart/fold down readily and easily. Perhaps one day I'll move a car on and clear a bay but then my neighbours would probably complain if i did too much! I do have some space in a unit where I could potentially build some bigger items but It is not very secure and currently full of car parts :rolleyes:

I think I will buy or make another MFT which I'll make adaptable for the router set up.. Perhaps if I get some of this extruded aluminium, make a bracket to latch on the end of the existing MFT then adapt a leg set up for the other end that could work a treat... Hmm... Will have a think!

@PAC1 Thankyou for your insight... My initial draw towards the Incra is the LS and how accurate and easy it looks to work with added to which it works whilst keeping everything parallel which just makes more sense to my brain.

The other systems such as dovetailing etc would be a bonus and no doubt something I would use. Do I need it? Probably not 'need' as I have a dovetailing jig and plenty of other projects to get on with!, but would it be useful, very adaptable, swift and pleasing to use? Sure sounds like it...

I shall ponder further!..

@PAC1 Thankyou for your insight... My initial draw towards the Incra is the LS and how accurate and easy it looks to work with added to which it works whilst keeping everything parallel which just makes more sense to my brain.

The other systems such as dovetailing etc would be a bonus and no doubt something I would use. Do I need it? Probably not 'need' as I have a dovetailing jig and plenty of other projects to get on with!, but would it be useful, very adaptable, swift and pleasing to use? Sure sounds like it...

I shall ponder further!..
As an example I made a set of drawers for a cabinet in 90 minutes on Saturday. Thats machine the wood, set up cut the finger joints, cut the groove dry fit and glue up. So it can be very efficient.

Last edited:
Peter - I’m building a router table in to my table saw and need a fence - the problem is that the side-mounted rails are off limits for me because they’ll interfere with my table saw’s rails. I’ll need the fence to fit to recessed track in the table top. The older Jessem fence seems to be able to adjust to different size tables, but it’s less easy to see that on the pictures for the newer one. Can you advise, please?

Hi PaulArthur
All of the JessEm current fence range allow for the fence bolts to be placed in further in, but all are individual with where the bolts can be placed, The TA Fence and Mast-R-Fence II have slots to move the bolt along the fence, the Mast-R-Fence III has a single point either side of the dust extraction port half way along the fence to move the bolt to. The difficulty will be finding a track similar to the wings to drop into the table. We carry a range of tracks but none of them match the wing track size, you may be able to grind the bolt heads down to fit a smaller track profile. Another option is routing slots into the table and keep the bolt nut captive underneath. Let me know if I can help anymore.

Cheers Peter

Hi,

Maybe this is question to @MikeK or @Peter Sefton - is it possible to use Jessem Mite R Slide II with Incra Wonder fence?

Thanks,

Martin

I don't think the Jessem Mite R Slide II will work with the Incra fence because there is no T-track on the top of the Incra fence. From the photos on the Jessem website, it appears the Mite R Slide II was designed to work only with the Jessem fence.

I don't think the Jessem Mite R Slide II will work with the Incra fence because there is no T-track on the top of the Incra fence. From the photos on the Jessem website, it appears the Mite R Slide II was designed to work only with the Jessem fence.
You beat me too it, and I agree.

Hi PaulArthur
All of the JessEm current fence range allow for the fence bolts to be placed in further in, but all are individual with where the bolts can be placed, The TA Fence and Mast-R-Fence II have slots to move the bolt along the fence, the Mast-R-Fence III has a single point either side of the dust extraction port half way along the fence to move the bolt to. The difficulty will be finding a track similar to the wings to drop into the table. We carry a range of tracks but none of them match the wing track size, you may be able to grind the bolt heads down to fit a smaller track profile. Another option is routing slots into the table and keep the bolt nut captive underneath. Let me know if I can help anymore.

Cheers Peter

Thanks for the tips, Peter. Would it be possible to buy t track or mitre track bolts that would fit in to the handles on the fences? Most jig kits come with t track and mitre bolts - are the fence bolts M6 or M8 (or an imperial version that I might be able to get elsewhere?

Otherwise, I think grinding the bolts down might be the solution...

The ability to adjust to outfeed fence on the Jessem TA is incredibly useful.Like most expensive kit it is modular so you can add bits and pieces when needed. I'm saving the pennies as I already have a standard Jessem set up.

If
Thanks for the tips, Peter. Would it be possible to buy t track or mitre track bolts that would fit in to the handles on the fences? Most jig kits come with t track and mitre bolts - are the fence bolts M6 or M8 (or an imperial version that I might be able to get elsewhere?

Otherwise, I think grinding the bolts down might be the solution...

If you have a fence in mind we can take one out of the box and investigate the options, just let me know.

Cheers Peter

If

If you have a fence in mind we can take one out of the box and investigate the options, just let me know.

Cheers Peter

@Peter Sefton

It would ideally be the Jessem mast-r-lift iii. If I can find a way to easily fit it to some standard track, then that would be great. The track I currently have is the UJK combined mitre slot and t track, but it’s not routed in yet...

It seems that the easiest option would be to install standard t track bolts if the thread would work with the Jessem handles...

Any advice gratefully received.

Latest posts

Back