Router table fence configuration?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

julianf

Established Member
Reaction score
I've got the top from a wadkin saw that I'm going to have machined to take a router insert where the blade used to be.

The insert will need to be a little longer than standard, as the oval blade hole is a little longer and I want it to be neat.

(I'm going to pay someone else to machine the cast, but the insert I'll make myself as I CNC cut alloy all day for work anyway, but my machines won't do cast iron)

Anyway, I still have the fence for the table (wadkin ags 250)

Will this be of much use for a router table?

Most router fences that I see are split so as to be able to alter the infeed and outfeed. If the fence is solid, I guess the work would need to be passed between the fence and the bit, and there would be a danger of moving toward the bit, which is impossible with split fences.

I guess the other option would be to face the fence with two additional sections and shim the first if different infeed and outfeed were needed.

At present I don't need the fence at all. I just want the setup got routing shapes using bearings and metal templates, but I have the original fence so I'm just wondering how much use it will, or won't be?

(I actually bought the whole lot as the fence on my ags10 was damaged by a courier, but then I managed to get a replacement for that anyway, so had the "spare" later ags parts, that I figured id turn into a router table)

Back