• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Router table choices

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Sporky McGuffin

Established Member
Reaction score
Morning all; apologies for another thread on a well-discussed subject, but I'm getting nowhere trying to make a decision.

Mostly I make boxes. I use a little Bosch tablesaw, mitre guillotine, bandsaw and suchlike. There are things I think I could do better or more safely with a router table - grooves for bases, hinge rebates, maybe the fancy corner joints and so on. I have an Axminster router lift that was embedded in my old bench, but the lack of a fence made that only moderately useful, and it won't fit at all easily into my new workshop's bench. It has a 1/2-inch Bosch router.

I'd rather buy something decent that'll last me forever, but no point buying something I'll only use 50% of.

I'm thinking the Axminster or Incra, but have no real inkling on the real-world advantages of each. The Incra looks more expandable, but I'm not sure I'll ever need the extras. I am open to other options, but in general I like making stuff more than I like making tools, so something I can buy and get on with would be good. Budget in the Axminster cast iron range. Ta in advance.

Tezza1

Reaction score
Morning all; apologies for another thread on a well-discussed subject, but I'm getting nowhere trying to make a decision.

Mostly I make boxes. I use a little Bosch tablesaw, mitre guillotine, bandsaw and suchlike. There are things I think I could do better or more safely with a router table - grooves for bases, hinge rebates, maybe the fancy corner joints and so on. I have an Axminster router lift that was embedded in my old bench, but the lack of a fence made that only moderately useful, and it won't fit at all easily into my new workshop's bench. It has a 1/2-inch Bosch router.

I'd rather buy something decent that'll last me forever, but no point buying something I'll only use 50% of.

I'm thinking the Axminster or Incra, but have no real inkling on the real-world advantages of each. The Incra looks more expandable, but I'm not sure I'll ever need the extras. I am open to other options, but in general I like making stuff more than I like making tools, so something I can buy and get on with would be good. Budget in the Axminster cast iron range. Ta in advance.
Hi There,
I started with a basic Rutland's own make router table with a Ryobi 1/2" router which had a lot of limitations, however 2 years ago I visited Woodworkers workshop open day and ended up purchasing a Jessem Excell router table - the one with no insert plate together with the dedicated motor. Yes I know it's expensive but the quality is exceptional and will outlast you. The backup from Woodworkers workshop is first class.

Sporky McGuffin

Established Member
Reaction score
I did one of Peter's hand tool courses about 5 years ago - I'm more than confident the stuff from WWW is good. I s'pose for the price it's cast iron table vs all the Incraness of the Incra.

The dedicated motor looks ace, and is a potential future upgrade in any case.

accipiter

Established Member
Reaction score
Sadly unable to offer any advice to your thread but I'll be reading with some interest as I'll be looking for something myself at some point. Not intending to take away from the OP's thread but give the reasons for my interest.

I have three (may drop to 2 soon) routers at present. My 1st was/is an old B&D "starter" I've had for 40+(?) years, an Elu 96e and a Bosch 1600 e (1/4", 3/8" & 1/2" collets). These last two are about 30 years old. The 1st one is probably on the way out as some recent use has had thin metal slivers found in the wood debris - bearings?

I really need to decide what I can do with the other two in a router table... even if home built, and using a table lift system - if they or one of them will easily fit - - - or do I go for new because of the age of them and the way "newer" routers/tables have changedand fit table lifts over the years? I may ask in a new thread at a later date as I don't want to distract from this post from @Sporky McGuffin (apologies if it does)

Sporky McGuffin

Established Member
Reaction score
Turns out my Axminster lift won't fit the Incra table. My first thought was "Axminster it is then", but then I had a look at all the stuff the Incra positioner enables, so I think I'll be selling the Axminster lift and a few other bits and going for the Incra. It's a chunk of money but it appears to make a lot of things quite straightforward.

Latest posts