Router table build guidance please, size, fence, lift etc.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gubbins

Reaction score
Morning all

After a good few years of struggling along with hand held routing I thought it's about time I progressed to table.

I've had use of a record power sliding table model, but I couldn't really get on with it as much as I'd like, and didn't think it was that accurate... so... I thought I'd build something a little more suitable.

I would like to be able to knock up soom cabinet doors, shaker-esque at some point.

So far i've got a router... a Makita 1/2" RP2301o_O I have the long screw with it, which I understand can be used as a lifting mechanism.

I wondered about using a large offcut of 40mm worktop I have lying around, as a the table top, just wondered if there's an optimum size for this to be?

Has anyone built something similar, or built something from youtube.

I'm quite happy to spend a bit of money creating this.

TIA

Gubbins

Having tried lots of things I can recommend an Incra fence without hesitation.
As for types of lifts and router combinations there are many and everyone has their own favourite I am using a combined lift with motor with a windy handle that sticks out the side for raising and lowering, this is the best method I have found so far.

As for the size, also personal choice but you need support for wider stuff.
I try to make everything in the workshop the same height so I can use other things for extra support if needed. I also put wheels on everything.

Ollie

I considered building my own, but then bought this. Trend CRT/MK3 CraftPro Router Table MK3 240V | CRT MK3

Several projects later, including raising and fielding door panels with a very large cutter, and have to say there's not much wrong with it at all for DIY use. I have a Trend T11 in mine which I can raise and lower from above
I've the precise same router and table...and slightly less effusive praise, which I think may be down to me not using it effectively.
I find the mounting/unmounting of the router tricky - which would be cured by having 2 routers I guess.
I find the slots for adjusting the fence forward and back get notch-ey after some use so it's harder to lock on intermediate positions. Also the fence isn't really long enough.
The dust extraction isn't great - although I've never seen a router table where it is.
And the cutter change is awkward (I ended up using a drill and socket to power the rise/fall to change cutters.
As I say - there're probably solutions for all of those but I'm trapped in "self taught" and sometimes don't see the obvious answer!

Hi

As you are up North, in normal circumstances a day out at the North of England woodworking show in Harrogate would let you see some of whats on offer but unfortunately some virus has cancelled it. There are loads of router table discussions on these forums from bare bones to exotic, just do a search.

I had a handheld router and bought a table to use with it. As a lifting mechanism I placed a shelf under the router and used a car scissor jack for lifting. However I had to remove the springs from the router otherwise it lifts the plate off the table - it worked perfectly. However this meant that the router was dedicated to the table and couldnt be used on its own.

I had a handheld router and bought a table to use with it. As a lifting mechanism I placed a shelf under the router and used a car scissor jack for lifting. However I had to remove the springs from the router otherwise it lifts the plate off the table - it worked perfectly. However this meant that the router was dedicated to the table and couldnt be used on its own.
Ingenious.
Been looking at various builds, YouTube, some are excellent, others you need a massive table saw, to cut the bits to make your table:cautious:

I find the mounting/unmounting of the router tricky - which would be cured by having 2 routers I guess.
I find the slots for adjusting the fence forward and back get notch-ey after some use so it's harder to lock on intermediate positions. Also the fence isn't really long enough.
The dust extraction isn't great - although I've never seen a router table where it is.
And the cutter change is awkward (I ended up using a drill and socket to power the rise/fall to change cutters.

Yes, I have 2 routers and the T11 never leaves the table, and yes I use a drill and socket to raise and lower the router quickly. The fence mechanism isn't very sophisticated but works OK for me. I've put plenty of work through it and for what is a budget table it's been fine.

I have a Triton TRA001 mounted under a triton router table insert for their workbench system. I've fitted it into a chunk of 40mm worktop and it's part of a "Norm" style router table which stores all my other routers, cutters and accessories. I had very limited woodworking experience when I built it so it's certainly something a novice can do.

Back