Router Table Advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich_N

Established Member
Reaction score
Evening folks,

I'm new to woodworking and have spent some of my retirement funds on power/hand tools etc (converting my garage into a workshop).

One of the things I purchased was the Triton TWX7 workstation, I also bought the router table module and the contractor saw. As I said, it's a single car integrated garage I have, and only half of it at that as a workshop. To complement the router table I bought the MOF001 router.

The saw seems fine to my newbie standards and cuts cleanly and accurately.

However, I'm having nothing but problems with both the router and the router table. I've had two support tickets running with them and they have sent me out a new router and a new router table module.

The router table is bowed, both the original and the replacement. They bow from the right (infeed) up to the centre of the table and then back down to the left side. If I level the table at the sides, the mitre protractor supplied with the saw module won't push through, it stops half way which is how I identified the bow. If I drop the ends so the middle is flush, obviously the ends are now under the level of the surrounding table.

When a straight edge is placed on the table the bow is very obvious both when it's in or out of the TWX7 Workcentre.

The grubscrews in the centre section do nothing to pull the centre flush, they just protrude from the table top!!!!! Both are the same and I'm awaiting a support team leader to get back to me.

The router, another story here. The first locked up completely in safety mode when I raised it up to change a bit. Nothing I tried would unlock the router and support agreed there was a major issue and sent me out a new one. A quick check without plugging it in seemed OK.

I've managed to use the new one twice in the router table. The micro-adjuster (used with or without the winding handle) seems to be grinding and very stiff - almost as if the internals are rubbing on something. I'll be getting in touch with support again in the morning.

So, to my question. I'm really, really dissatisfied with the Router and the table. I bought it with space and price in mind and I think I should have gone for a better machine/table combo. I really don't know if I want a 2nd replacement router and a 2nd replacement router table. I might be asking for a refund.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about the support I've received. Triton have been superb and both my planer/thicknesser and Belt/Bobbin Sander are fantastic bit's of kit considering my level. I've just lost all confidence in the router and router table.

What router table/router combo's would you suggest instead of the Triton setup? This time I'm more happy to spend a bit of cash for something that will work without endless replacements and support tickets. I'd like to keep the advantage of the above table height adjustment - so a lift would be nice. I've looked at the Axminster UJK lift as well as the Incra/Jess-M lifts and the tables to go with them. The Incra/Jess-M setup gets really expensive as the component parts are pricey and if I factor in a new router too. It works out at nearly £1,500 with the wheelset and a fixed AUK router that I'll only ever be able to use in the table and so I'd have to buy a new router for use out.

The Axminster table (not the cast iron one), lift and dewalt router work out to about £1100 or there about plus the remote switch. This setup means I'll be able to remove the router and use it out of the table. The Dewalt DW625EKT was recommended to me by Axminster as fitting their lift.

Are there any other brands and combos I should be looking at?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Rich

Last edited:
Have a look at this one from Rutlands, considerably cheaper than the other options you've looked at.
I have a much older version of this top and fence built into a cabinet, been perfectly good enough for me.
You can use it with the triton router you have, just need to drill a hole in the plate for the height adjuster.

Have a look at this one from Rutlands, considerably cheaper than the other options you've looked at.
I have a much older version of this top and fence built into a cabinet, been perfectly good enough for me.
You can use it with the triton router you have, just need to drill a hole in the plate for the height adjuster.

I was also looking at the one with the router and lift. From the same site.

I apologize for asking this, but regarding the router, did you check if you had the plunge lock engaged when you tried to do the fine adjustment? That might explain the grinding.

The Dewalt 625 is a great router for table work, the MOF001 router is less powerful but may be big enough for your requirements. Our Incra / JessEm could cost £1500 but that depends on the specification you go for, £1100 would get you a very good setup including some key JessEm products.

Give us a shout if you need any advice.

Cheers Peter

I apologize for asking this, but regarding the router, did you check if you had the plunge lock engaged when you tried to do the fine adjustment? That might explain the grinding.

Yes mate. Its off. I double and triple checked.

I'm really frustrated by this. 2nd router issue, 2nd router table with the same fault. Hence why I've lost confidence in the Triton setup.

The Dewalt 625 is a great router for table work, the MOF001 router is less powerful but may be big enough for your requirements. Our Incra / JessEm could cost £1500 but that depends on the specification you go for, £1100 would get you a very good setup including some key JessEm products.

Give us a shout if you need any advice.

Cheers Peter

As per above, I'd love the Incra table, lift and AUK Router. I'm almost certainly going to ditch the Triton, 2 duff routers and I now have little confidence in them. That means on top of the table, I'd want a lift and a router.

Rich_N
I would suggest you take a look at the JessEm Prestige and Muscle Chuck Type 2E, these are a great combination with the Dewalt 625 and one of the router setups I have within my school workshop. Cheaper than the Incra / AUK setup but the Prestige is the best lift for plunge routers IMO. You may have been looking at the JessEm Mast-R-Top this is "solid" 19mm thick phenolic top not the same as "phenolic laminate" on MDF which can be good but a more cost effective product to make. I have tested a few suppliers MDF and laminate tops but have chosen to get our own produced in the UK as the materials are a better quality and they can produce to a specification I am happy with, not available yet but should be soon.

Cheers Peter

Peter,

Im looking at a Router Table Combo. So stand, top, lift, fence, router. Ill take another look at your site.

The Trend T11 and Trend CWT seems to be a nice combo - but my budget may be more restricted than yours.

As mentioned above, the T11 can be height adjusted from above the table so no need for a lift - although a 'brace' type cranked handle makes height changes faster/less effort than the straight adjustment handle supplied with the T11

Just in case some not aware, the Trend T11 is identical to the DW625 except it also has an above-table router lift built in.
Is the Dewalt DW625 discussed here the same as the DW625EK-GB? I’m not sure what those extra letters mean—sorry if obvious.

Also, do you mean that the Trend also has an above table lift built in? Or the DeWalt? Could anyone explain why this is advantage? Apologies again if it’s obvious, but I’m a complete newbie.

When the T11 is used upside down in a table the height of the cutter can be changed (raised/lowered) via a handle that you connect to a hex head on the base of the router (the plate needs a hole in the correct position - this can be drilled if necessary)

Have a look at this video - just jump to the 10 minute mark
From 10:05 you can clearly see the hole at the 4 o'clock position on the plate and from 10:30 he demonstrates the adjustment (bit of discussion on the handle used at 11:40)

And, apologies, must have had a bit of a brain fritz in my first post (#14) - 'Trend CWT' in that post should have been 'Trend WRT' <doh!> :rolleyes:

Last edited:
That looks like the trend plate that already has the hole for the adjuster
Yes, that's a Trend table so the plate is pre-drilled but there are templates available for drilling the hole in plates that don't have them - the T11 is such a common router that plates that include drilling templates are likely to include one for the T11

...and a socket and extension in a cordless drill is even quicker. :D
Yep, great for rapid up/down when changing a bit but a manual handle is probably better for the fine adjustments

This is an old video I made a few years ago showing the Router Raizer sadly no longer available, it shows the Incra plate which I drilled for the Dewalt 625 Raizer hole. I managed to get Incra to change the plate design, it now comes with the pre drilled hole for the Trend winding handle and the fixing holes have been swivelled so the winder is forward of the fence line.

Latest posts

Back