Router suitable for use with router table?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmwatt

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks, me again.

After asking about options for a pillar drill, I've been wondering if my money would be better spent on a router table to use with my router? :?: My problem is on my current project, is I need to make a small mortice for a lock on my jewellery box build here: https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/my-first-attempt-at-wood-working-jewellery-box-wip-t54965.html along with 2 smaller mortices for fitting the hinges. The mortice for the lock needs to be just over 20mm deep on a 15mm thick piece of elm.

My current router is a SIP router which I bought of Dodge on the forums here and so far quite happy with it. I would like to perhaps get the Dakota Deluxe Router table from Rutlands here: http://www.rutlands.co.uk/workshop-...r-tables/DK2009/deluxe-full-size-router-table, but I'm not sure how I would mount the router. :-k It only seems to have 2 smaller holes in the base on each side of the opening which is intended for fixing a dust extraction outlet. The plastic part on the base seems to be held in by 4 small screws, but this probably wouldn't be suitable. The other option I thought about is using the holes for the locking thumb screws for attaching the fence on the top of the base plate which are threaded through the metal part of the base (only three corners have a hole though). What do you guys think? Here's a few pics...

_MG_5421 by Craig Watt, on Flickr

_MG_5422 by Craig Watt, on Flickr

_MG_5424 by Craig Watt, on Flickr

Thanks.

The only thing I think I regret wen it comes to my router table is that I didn't just knock togheter a couple pieces of MDF and be done with it instead of buying an expensive piece of flat surface doing EXACTLY the same. Free tip of the day is to buy the DVD's from Steve Maskery and have a look at what you can build yourself. If I were you I'd be looking for a pillar drill and some MDF scrap :)

HTH

Get both. A router table is easy enough to make - mine is a piece of ten mm ply screwed to a piece 0f 19mm ply the latter has a router base-shaped hole and the router sits in here and bolts to the 10 mm piece. The fence is a chunk of oak, adjustable with bolts in slots. The router itself is a trend t11 which I like because it has a removable handle to ajust the depth from above.
I only use a pillar drill for cutting kitchen hinge holes and making wooden plugs so on of these http://www.axminster.co.uk/proxxon-proxxon-bfb-2000-mill-drill-stand-prod793040/ works fine with an old (30 years!) Toshiba mains drill

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I would love to build my own, but don't know if I'd be able to since I'm only working on my first wood working project ever at the mo! :shock:

Also I don't have much scrap lying around that I could use since I am just new to doing this, so I would have to buy some sheet material which is extra cost. Also my budget is pretty limited (around £100 just now, maybe slightly more at a stretch). I would rather buy the best I can for the money, than buy the cheapest just so I could get both the table and the drill. So it's pretty much either, or as I see it, unless I can be convinced otherwise. :)

Back