Router Springs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phil p

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a few routers and want to dedicate one to sit permanent under a table.

Its a Dewalt 625 and I have the fine handle adjuster but boy is it hard to turn!

I don’t want to cut back on any safety factors however if I removed (that’s if you can) the springs would this help in raising and lowering the router, and be safe.

I was thinking that it would take all the tension off the winding.

Regards
Phil

The Triton routers specifically say to remove the spring when fitting to a table so I guess that it will be O.K. with your chosen router. One has to be careful with the Triton's or the spring will come out at a high speed and could cause some damage if it hits you in the face. Presumable other routers will do the same.
Nigel

It's fine to take the spring out. It only makes a small difference because you are still raising the weight of the motor when the router is inverted. If it's heavy going check whether the router slides freely on the posts and the the lock isn't dragging.

I took the one out of my (Cheap) router, but put it back in again, as it wasn't dropping cleanly - without the extra bit of push. It may have been the slide on the spring side was a little less free running than the other side, but I couldn't see any particular issue, and the spring reinstatement was an easy option.

One has to be careful with the Triton's or the spring will come out at a high speed and could cause some damage if it hits you in the face.
I thought that was the fun factor on it. Wallops you in the mush and you sit for five minutes feeling like a complete plonker. Laughing about it later on.

Back