Router Speed Controller

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garden Shed Projects

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I am looking to mount a 2100w Erbauer router under a router table. Can any one advise on a suitable speed controller please. Lots of cheap options online through Bangood, Aliexpress, Amazon etc, is this the way to go or is there a recognised option I am not aware of.

All advice appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Unless I'm missing something the router itself has a variable speed controller . . . . I have a very similar router built into a home-made table and I just have to reach underneath to turn the speed adjusting wheel.

I believe our AUKTools router is the only one available with remote speed control, most routers come with built in variable speed as mentioned by Rob.

I have seen a couple of products on the American market but I am not sure what they are doing to change the speed?

This is our router

Cheers

Peter

Unless I'm missing something the router itself has a variable speed controller . . . . I have a very similar router built into a home-made table and I just have to reach underneath to turn the speed adjusting wheel.
The router will be mounted under a bench in a cupboard so not exactly impossible to access but I would like the ease of access of a remote unit.

I wonder if you could just take the one from the machine out and extend the wires going to it. Mount it in a little box on top of the table.
It's probably just a potentiometer.

Ollie

I wonder if you could just take the one from the machine out and extend the wires going to it. Mount it in a little box on top of the table.

Ollie
It had crossed my mind as it will be permanently mounted but electronics are not a specialty of mine. I may still explore this option as I would expect extending a few wires and a bit of soldering would sort it.

Ollie
There is a pot involved, but it regulates a ‘dimmer’ style circuit with a triac. Many hoovers are fitted with these.

I've tried a triac type plug-in variable speed control designed for motors. I wanted to slow down an angle grinder for better use of a flap wheel and wire brush.
It worked, but nowhere near as well as the variable speed controls built into my routers and other tools that have a hall sensor built in. These use feedback to maintain constant speed under load.
If you look at the electronics module in a power drill, an elu router, etc they are usually potted in epoxy to keep the dust out of the electronics. The potentiometer is part of this assembly with just the spindle standing proud and a thumbwheel attached. You're unlikely to be able to separate the pot to rewire it remotely without damaging the module.

Last edited:
I have looked at this on the Triton TRA001 router and it is feasable, the speed control unit is a screw on component that has an encapsulated circuit board with the speed control dial coming out the side, the wiring could remain as just the standard three core cable to an external enclosure in which the controller could be placed. The only thing I have not checked is the heat produced, part of this unit is an aluminium heat sink and in it's location within the router it may or may not require the air flow from the motor fan, hopefully it would be ok with just passive cooling.

Perhaps the entire module could be removed, I guess it depends how they have constructed it.
If it won't come out as a single unit then maybe buy a speed control unit as a spare part and bypass the one in it.
I had not thought of it having some kind of feedback encoding for constant speed but it makes sense.

Ollie

On the Elu MOF96E routers and probably the 177's too, the speed control module is a squared donut shape and sits around the upper end of the armature inside the air intake / top cover. There's a little grey disc on the end or the armature containing a magnet. A hall effect sensor is built into the module and detects each time the magnet passes by. I've no idea if the Erbauer router has this type of sensing to maintain speed under load. Not al routers do. But if it does and the sensor is built into the module. then moving the module more than a mm or two will mess it up.

I have just whipped the top off and found this below. Should be easy enough to extend the wires back to a little box on the front of the table. Problem solved 👍

E204FE6F-DF71-4FEA-B5D0-D6BA0AF5B88F.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back