Router recommendation?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuartpaul

Established Member
Reaction score
Having just finished thrashing my Axminster white half inch router to death :oops: (it's given fine service over the last couple of years) I need to get a new one.

Have decided to go 'up market' and get something a tad more robust and wondered if there are any recommendations out there?

Just read the T11/Triton thread but both of these are probably too rich for me (budget about £200 to £220 ish, - may be able to squeeze a bit more if SHMBO lets me :wink: !!).

Router will spend its life inverted on a routalift so ease of bit changing etc. quite important.

Any help appreciated.

This might be a silly question, but how do you know that your Axminster is finished and doesn't just need new brushes or something?

Gill

Vibrates like an absolute pig (chatter cutting on a router anyone?!!), - bushes are fine. I can't see anything obvious and haven't been able to tighten up anything that might be the cause.

It may well be repairable but it is getting on a bit now and I can use the excuse to upgrade to something better :wink:

Stuart

Porter cable 2hp - been best on test in endless reviews. I have owned mine for 3 years and love it to bits - absolutely superb. Charley has one too and feels the same.

\My triton is over three years old and still goes round.

Most probably gone through over 30 cu ft of timber in the last three years.

I came to the conclusion that if my router was always going to live in the table then I'd go for one that had been designed from the start with the emphasis on table use rather than handheld. The rationale being that if you design a router to perform both functions then there have to be compromises along the way.

The fact that above the table changes are a doddle with the Triton plus the fact that you don't need any form of router raiser device with the Triton either plus the fact that it's been designed for the table from the start....Triton for me.

What Roger said, plus LOADS of power, easily removeable/replaceable plunge spring, auto power off lock when changing bits, good on/off switch design and a very good collet makes the Triton the best router I've ever owned.

Ray.

Triton
Did all notice there was not a review printed by Good woodworking of this router (there was a full page advert). Perhaps the magazine would comment why a review on this model was not forthcoming.

The Full Page Triton Advertisement in GWW did not mention the Router - it refered to the router table, jigsaw kit etc. The blurb for the table said it accepts "most routers" no mention of the TR001.

I also notice that the Triton Router is no longer stocked by Amazon UK and is not promoted by any of the main dealers. I wonder why .....?

Whats happening Triton?

John

devonwoody":97qiyxtw said:
Triton
Did all notice there was not a review printed by Good woodworking of this router (there was a full page advert). Perhaps the magazine would comment why a review on this model was not forthcoming.
Devon,

Perhaps this comment in another parallel thread may help to explain "we have to rely on manufacturers to let us know what they have new to the market, and for them to supply samples"

Its the same at my work, I call 10 manufacturers to supply samples - often only 5 actually manage to get items to me in time - so the rest simply aren't tested. They automatically rule themselves out through not providing the goods early enough.

Adam

Thanks for all the responses.

I have to admit that having always bought from the 'cheaper' suppliers it's something of a struggle to work out waht to buy when you move up the scale.

Recommendations to date would appear to cover:

Trend T11 (haven't seen one below £250 yet)
Triton (any particular model?)
Porter Cable (for less than £220?)

Any ideas on suppliers as well please? I have googled but a surprising number of results and many nothing to do with woodworking. Will keep an eye on EBay and see what's available.

I've always had success with D&M Tools, Axminster and Rutlands. In fact, I bought my router (a Mafell) from my local store. This was partly based on their recommendation and I've been very pleased with it.

Adam

Second Roger's advice - have a look on Ebay for an old Elu router. Excellent for table mounting (no vibration even with extender) and forgetting about. Should be had for <£100. I bought an old MOF 98 and more recently a MOF 177e (equiv to the Dewalt 625). Together with an xtreme xtensionjobby and a fine height adjuster perfect for table use.
Cheers
Gidon

Axminster have the CMT 1/2" unit on offer for £180 at the moment. I believe is is the same as the 625 etc etc just in orange. Worth a look....

I think (Yes I know :D) that the triton might be the one for me considering it will spend its life upside down and it appears to be designed for this.

Cheapest I've found is £224 (Greys & D+M) unless you know different?!!

EBay appears to be full of cheap cr*p at the moment so no decent 2nd hand stuff there.

Can't find any trace of CMT on offer on Axminster web site, - is it a shop deal?

Is it possible to get 240 volt Porter Cable over here? Extensive googling hasn't thrown up any. 120 volt available but the price of a converter on top pushes prices up too much.

No Trends under £250 so struggling there.

I'm all internetted out right now :wink: but will return to the fray before the weekend.

Latest posts

Back